Delhi’s power demand scores to record 5,178 MWJune 1st, 2012 - 9:21 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 1 (IANS) The national capital’s power demand soared to a record 5,178 MW Friday, the third time this season it has touched new highs.
“Delhi’s power demand touched 5,178 MW today (Friday), which is the highest-ever. Earlier, the demand rose to 5,155 MW on May 30 and to 5,032 MW on May 25,” said a power department official.
Prior to this Delhi had registered a demand of 5,028 MW in August 2011.
Over the past 11 years, the demand for electricity has shown an upward trend. The peak demand was 2,831 MW in 2001.
On Friday, there was no respite from the blazing heat in the capital with the mercury touching 44.4 degrees Celsius - four notches above average.
For this year, the projected power consumption has been pegged at 5,500 MW. However, as trends indicate, the demand may cross this mark.
Meanwhile, several parts of Delhi faced an over seven-hour-long power cuts Thursday.
- Power demand in Delhi reaches all-time high - Jun 22, 2012
- Power demand breaks record in Delhi - May 25, 2012
- Searing heat pushes power demand in Delhi to new high - Jun 21, 2012
- Delhi power demand reaches new high - Jun 26, 2012
- Delhi power demand reaches new high at 5,642 MW - Jul 05, 2012
- Delhi power demand reaches new all-time high - Jul 02, 2012
- Rains expected in Delhi Saturday (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Delhi sizzles, power demand highest ever (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- As Delhi sizzles, power demand reaches to all-time high (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Thrifty power users in Delhi to get subsidy - Aug 30, 2011
- Rain eludes Delhi, power demand again peaks (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Summer break extended in Delhi schools (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- Delhi power demand soars with rising mercury - May 12, 2011
- Hero Honda's March sales up 24 percent - Apr 01, 2011
- Sweltering Delhi to get monsoon rains this week (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012