Delhi to show its ‘green face’ for Commonwealth GamesMay 20th, 2009 - 9:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 20 (IANS) The Delhi government has launched a major drive to show its ‘green face’ for the Commonwealth Games 2010. In a separate project, the state would also plant 1.2 million sapling across the city in 2009-2010.
“The city government has decided to add to the aesthetics by beautifying the sporting venues. The forest department has decided to make available six million potted plants of annuals and perennials for display during the Commonwealth Games 2010. The environment department would also arrange one million palms in pots for the Games,” said an official statement of the Delhi government.
The decision was taken by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit in a review meeting of the department of environment and forests.
“It was decided that the department would plant more than 12 lakh saplings during 2009-10. It was also decided to set up eight more city forests during the current year for which vacant land at Garhi Mandu, Jagatpur, Ayanagar, Gadeipur, Rangpuri, Daurala, Malikpur and Ambrahi have been identified. Nine city forests were set up during 2008-09 making it 18 in Delhi,” the statement said.
The environment department also extended the term of the Eco Task Force for another one year.
“It was also reported that construction of the boundary wall in the Central Ridge would be completed within one year before commencement of the Commonwealth Games to ensure protection of forests against encroachment and dumping of Malba (garbage),” the statement further said.
Dikshit also complimented the role of eco-club schools and its active young members in expanding the green area in Delhi apart from propagating environmental issues like solar water heating, rainwater harvesting and waste management.
The chief minister also instructed the officials to involve youth in reviving water bodies in Delhi specially in the rural areas.
The government also instructed officials to intensify action in enforcing the ban on plastic bags in the city.
- Dikshit launches green Delhi drive - Jul 23, 2011
- Money wasted on potted plants - Aug 05, 2011
- Green drive in Delhi ahead of Commonwealth Games - Oct 31, 2009
- Punjab to plant over one crore saplings this monsoon - Jun 27, 2011
- Delhi to increase its green cover: Dikshit - Mar 21, 2011
- World Ozone Day: Dikshit says Delhi citizens must rededicate to maintain nature - Sep 16, 2010
- Ornamental plants to beautify Delhi for Games - May 03, 2010
- Delhi starts planting one million trees (Lead) - Jul 23, 2011
- Delhi gets 7 lakh saplings in 3 weeks: Dikshit - Aug 14, 2011
- In Delhi, government spends Rs.950 on every plant! - Sep 02, 2012
- CWG debris deadline ends, Delhi CM on defensive - Aug 10, 2010
- Trees on 65 percent area of Noida memorial: Uttar Pradesh - Aug 06, 2010
- Dikshit nailed by CAG, opposition demands resignation (Third Lead) - Aug 05, 2011
- Dikshit launches plantation drive - Aug 06, 2012
- From streetscaping to lights - CAG slams Delhi government - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: annuals and perennials, boundary wall, chief minister, city government, commonwealth games 2010, delhi government, department of environment, encroachment, forest department, games new, green face, mandu, potted plants, protection of forests, rainwater harvesting, sapling, saplings, sheila dikshit, solar water heating, water bodies