Delhi sizzles at 44 degrees Celsius (Lead)May 1st, 2009 - 6:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 1 (IANS) Delhi literally sizzled Friday as the mercury touched 44 degrees Celsius - a good five degrees above normal. Delhhiites had a tough time beating the heat with many trying their best to stay indoors or taking ample precautions if they had to venture out.
Officials at the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said the heat wave conditions were likely to continue as the temperature recorded in the afternoon was 44 degrees - the highest this season.
Wednesday saw the hottest April day in 50 years as the mercury touched 43.5 degrees Celsius.
For Delhiites, respite from the heat does seem quite a distance away.
“I have been trying to avoid going outdoors, but because of the nature of my work I have no option. I try and protect myself with a dupatta (scarf) over my head, shades, umbrella and sip water continuously - yet it brings little relief,” said Sakshi Mehra, a sales executive.
The minimum temperature recorded early Friday was 24.8 degrees Celsius, which was a notch above normal. The weather officials said the weather condition over the entire northern region is dry and, therefore, the heat wave is likely to continue.
- Heat wave in Punjab and Haryana, Amritsar records 45.5 degrees - Jun 02, 2012
- Delhi sizzles at over 44 degrees Celsius (Second Lead) - May 01, 2009
- Heat wave unabated in Haryana, Punjab - Jun 01, 2012
- Sunstroke toll rises to 36 in Odisha - Jun 12, 2012
- Mercury touches 44 degrees in Orissa town - May 10, 2011
- Hot Sunday in Delhi, Monday to be similar (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- Delhi to sizzle over the weekend - Apr 17, 2010
- Temperatures soar across Himachal - Jun 12, 2012
- Heat wave continues to grip India (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
- Parts of Maharashtra sizzle at 47 degrees - May 26, 2012
- Heat wave grips India, mercury soars - May 26, 2010
- Delhi swelters at 43 degrees Celsius, breaks five-year record (Lead) - May 12, 2011
- Another blazing day in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Heat wave in Odisha, Titilagarh sizzles at 45 degrees - May 16, 2012
- Heat wave scorching North India - May 01, 2009
Tags: april day, five degrees, heat wave, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, may 1, mercury, minimum temperature, New Delhi, notch, respite from, sales executive, scarf, shades, sip, sizzles, umbrella, wave conditions, weather condition, weather officials