Delhi sees season’s hottest day, heat to rise (Lead)May 24th, 2012 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 24 (IANS) Delhi reeled under a scorching sun Thursday with the maximum temperature recorded at 43.1 degrees Celsius — three notches above average and the highest so far during the season. The mercury is expected to further rise to up to 45 degrees Friday.
As sweltering heat swept across the capital Thursday, even usually busy roads remained deserted.
“It was sweltering heat today because of which I could not step out of my house. I decided to stay home and not to go to office,” 24-year-old Ranjana Singh told IANS.
The minimum temperature was recorded at 27.3 degrees, a notch above average, while the humidity wavered between a high and low of 36 and 9 percent.
The sky will be clear and sunny Friday.
“The maximum and minimum temperature are likely to hover around 45 and 28 degrees, respectively,” said an India Meteorological Department official.
- As Delhi sizzles, power demand reaches to all-time high (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Hot, dry day in Delhi, mercury to rise Saturday (Lead) - May 18, 2012
- Rain eludes Delhi, power demand again peaks (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Delhi sees season's hottest day, rain likely Friday (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Warm day in Delhi, no respite Saturday (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Hot day in Delhi, mercury to rise Thursday (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Hot, sunny Wednesday in Delhi (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Rains expected in Delhi Saturday (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Hot day in Delhi, rain expected Friday (Second Lead) - Apr 28, 2011
- Clear, sunny day in Delhi (Lead) - Nov 24, 2011
- Pleasant, windy day in Delhi (Lead) - Apr 24, 2012
- Warm, sunny Monday expected (Lead) - Dec 04, 2011
- Hot day in Delhi, similar weather on Wednesday (Lead) - Oct 04, 2011
- Windy Friday in Delhi, mercury to rise Saturday (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Warm Saturday for Delhi, Sunday to be same (Lead) - May 05, 2012