Delhi reels under searing heat, monsoon delayed (Lead)June 29th, 2012 - 3:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 29 (IANS) As the monsoon missed its scheduled date with the capital, denizens continued to reel under the scorching heat Friday with the minimum temperature settling four notches above average at 31.6 degrees.
In the abscence of any succour, the capital’s residents are forced to sweat it out in the dry heat.
The situation is especially uncomfortable for those who travel by two-wheelers as the dry heat, coupled with the harsh sunlight, tans the skin or worse, result in a heat stroke. As a result it’s a common sight to see several Delhiites who dare to venture out either are wrapped up in scarfs or carrying umbrellas.
The situation is expected to remain so for at least a week as the monsoon winds have not advanced from Uttar Pradesh over Delhi and its neighbouring areas, an official of the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
“The winds have reached Uttar Pradesh but it will take around a week for them to reach Delhi,” said the IMD official.
Some relief is, however, in sight as the weather office has forecast that the western disturbances, which are not related to monsoon, may cause light rain in parts of the city over the weekend.
Meanwhile, the skies are expected to remain partly cloudy Friday. The maximum temperature is expected to hover around the 42 degrees Celsius mark.
Thursday’s maximum temperature settled five notches above average at 41.6 degrees Celsius, while the minimum was two notches above average at 30.4 degrees Celsius.
- Delhi reels under searing heat, monsoon a week away (Second lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Scorching day in store for Delhi - Jun 30, 2012
- Hot Friday for Delhi - Jun 29, 2012
- Unrelenting heat in Delhi, no respite Friday (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Searing day, no rains for Delhi - Jul 01, 2012
- Delhi has another hot day, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Another sweltering day in Delhi, no respite Sunday (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Hot Sunday in Delhi, Monday to be similar (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- Hot day ahead in Delhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Another blistering day for Delhi - May 28, 2012
- Hot Saturday in Delhi, similar weather expected Sunday (Lead) - Jun 09, 2012
- Warm Sunday morning in Delhi - Nov 06, 2011
- Rains expected in Delhi Saturday (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Warm, cloudy Sunday for Delhi - Apr 01, 2012
- Heat keeps grip on Delhi, schools vacations extended (Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
Tags: abscence, denizens, dry heat, harsh sunlight, heat stroke, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, light rain, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, monsoon winds, neighbouring areas, New Delhi, notches, scarfs, succour, tans, two wheelers, umbrellas, weather office