Delhi reels under searing heat, monsoon a week away (Second lead)June 29th, 2012 - 9:28 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 29 (IANS) With delayed monsoon and the maximum temperature shooting up six degrees above the season’s normal to 42 degrees Celsius, the capital reeled under prolonged summer heat for yet another day Friday.
Delhi residents will have to bear the heat at least for another week, according to the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD) which has forecast clear skies and high temperatures for Saturday.
“Delhi would have mainly clear skies, Saturday. The day’s maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to be 43 and 31 degrees Celsius respectively,” an IMD official told IANS.
“The dry spell is expected to last for at least a week more as the monsoon winds have not advanced from Uttar Pradesh to Delhi and its neighbouring areas,” the official added.
Owing to the prolonged spell of scorching heat, Delhiites who venture out during the day are commonly seen either wrapped up in scarfs or carrying umbrellas.
There could, however, be some relief over the weekend as the weather office has forecast that a western disturbance may cause light rain in parts of the city. “Western disturbance” is a meteorological term for a weather phenomenon that effects changes in temperatures and causes local showers.
The humidity recordings for the day touched a maximum of 46 and minimum of 27 percent, while the day’s minimum temperature at 31.6 degrees Celsius was three notches above what is normal for this time of the season.
Thursday’s maximum temperature settled five notches above average at 41.6 degrees Celsius, while the minimum was two notches above average at 30.4 degrees Celsius.
- Scorching day in store for Delhi - Jun 30, 2012
- Delhi has another hot day, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Delhi reels under searing heat, monsoon delayed (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Searing day, no rains for Delhi - Jul 01, 2012
- Muggy Sunday morning in Delhi, rains likely - Jul 22, 2012
- Hot Saturday in Delhi, Sunday to be similar too (Lead) - Oct 01, 2011
- Unrelenting heat in Delhi, no respite Friday (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Muggy morning in Delhi - Jul 20, 2012
- Sweltering day for Delhi - Jun 20, 2012
- Hot day in Delhi, mercury to rise Thursday (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, showers ahead - Sep 08, 2012
- Slightly warm, partly cloudy day for Delhi - Nov 09, 2011
- Delhi has dry, hot Friday; Saturday may bring showers (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Bright day in Delhi, thunder storm expected - May 11, 2012
- Drizzle in Delhi, more showers likely - Jul 30, 2012
Tags: clear skies, delhi residents, dry spell, high temperatures, indian meteorological department, indian meteorological department imd, light rain, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, monsoon winds, neighbouring areas, scarfs, six degrees, summer heat, three notches, time of the season, umbrellas, weather office, weather phenomenon