Delhi records hottest day of the season, power demand jumps (Second Lead)April 15th, 2010 - 9:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) Delhi recorded the hottest day of the season Thursday with the mercury soaring to 42.3 degrees Celsius, six notches above average. The increase in temperature shot up the power demand in the capital with several areas suffering without electricity for hours.
“Due to the unprecedented hot summer, the power demand in the national capital witnessed new highs. In April 2009 the average demand was around 3,100 MW but this year it has reached nearly 3,900 MW,” an official of the Delhi power department told IANS.
The power demand reached 3,877 MW Thursday. The power demand Wednesday was recorded at 3,764 MW against 3,147 MW for the corresponding period last year.
“This shows an enormous increase for this period of the year. In the first 14 days of April this year, the Delhi consumption has been 973 million units against 670 million units in the year 2009,” the official said.
With the increasing demand, power cuts were reported across several parts of the country. “Besides, we received less power due to overdrawing of power by neighbouring states,” he added.
The mercury rose to 42.3 degrees Celsius, which is the highest recorded for April 15 in the past five years, an India Meteorological Department (IMD) spokesperson said.
The weatherman has forecast a further rise in the temperature. The day temperature Friday is likely to hover around 43 degrees Celsius.
The weatherman attributed the blazing heat to a lack of any western disturbance.
“This time the heat is really quite bad. Even the desert coolers seem ineffective in the afternoon. If mid-April is like this, I fear the coming summer months,” said Saurabh Gupta, a marketing professional.
- At 42.3, Delhi records season's hottest day (Lead) - Apr 15, 2010
- Delhi's hottest April 16 in five years (Lead) - Apr 16, 2010
- Temperatures soar across Himachal - Jun 12, 2012
- As Delhi sizzles, power demand reaches to all-time high (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Delhi records hottest April day in 52 years (Lead) - Apr 17, 2010
- Rains expected in Delhi Saturday (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Delhi power demand soars with rising mercury - May 12, 2011
- Week starts on scorching note for Delhi (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Delhi to sizzle over the weekend - Apr 17, 2010
- Warm and humid day in Delhi, rain likely (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
- Sweltering Delhi to get monsoon rains this week (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Delhi witnesses a hot day (Lead) - Apr 27, 2010
- Heat wave warning in Orissa as mercury soars - May 09, 2011
- Rain eludes Delhi, power demand again peaks (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Hot Tuesday ahead for Delhi - Jun 26, 2012
Tags: consumption, desert coolers, electricity, enormous increase, hot summer, hottest day, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, marketing, mercury, mw, neighbouring states, New Delhi, new highs, notches, saurabh gupta, spokesperson, weatherman