Delhi has dry, hot Friday; Saturday may bring showers (Lead)July 21st, 2012 - 12:11 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 20 (IANS) Delhi missed out on rains Friday, like the entire week despite the weather office’s forecast of heavy rains last week-end, and suffered a day of oppressive heat. The Met office has again forecast rain for Saturday.
The national capital has had a dry monsoon so far, the rainfall deficit rising to a whopping 52 percent since June 29, the normal date of onset of monsoon in the city.
The dry but cloudy Friday meant a morning and afternoon of oppressive heat in Delhi. Though the maximum temperature at 36.7 degrees Celsius was lower than the previous day’s scorching 40 degrees Celsius, it was still three notches above what is normal for this time of the season.
“The sky will remain cloudy and rains are expected on Saturday,” said an official of the Indian Meteorological Department, holding out hope of some respite from the prolonged dry spell.
The minimum temperature Friday settled five notches above 32.2 degrees, while the humidity wavered between a high of 73 percent and low of 50 percent.
The maximum and minimum temperatures are likely to hover around 35 and 29 degrees respectively.
- Delhi has another hot day, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Delhi sees season's hottest day, rain likely Friday (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- Rains expected in Delhi Saturday (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Searing day, no rains for Delhi - Jul 01, 2012
- Cloudy Sunday in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 03, 2012
- Unrelenting heat in Delhi, no respite Friday (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Scorching day in store for Delhi - Jun 30, 2012
- Week starts on scorching note for Delhi (Lead) - Jun 25, 2012
- Hot day in Delhi, no relief in store (Lead) - May 04, 2011
- Thunderstorm cools Delhi after scorching heat (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Cloudy day in Delhi, rains expected Sunday (Lead) - Jul 14, 2012
- Some Delhi areas see rain (Second Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Delhi reels under searing heat, monsoon delayed (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Scorching Saturday in Delhi, no respite Sunday (Lead) - Jun 30, 2012
- Delhi reels under searing heat, monsoon a week away (Second lead) - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: dry spell, heavy rains, humidity, indian meteorological department, june 29, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, minimum temperatures, monsoon, New Delhi, oppressive heat, rain, rainfall deficit, respite from, showers, sky, three notches, time of the season, weather office