Decentralise tourism in Goa: governorDecember 19th, 2011 - 11:53 am ICT by IANS
Panaji, Dec 19 (IANS) Goa Governor K. Sankaranarayanan said Monday that the state should make efforts to decentralise tourism in order to prevent its beaches from getting dirty and overcrowded.
In an address on the 50th anniversary of Goa liberation day, Sankaranarayanan said that it was important to keep the environment clean in order to promote the state as a global tourism destination.
“It should be our effort to decentralise tourism by creating tourism infrastructure in the hinterland. This will avoid crowding of the beaches,” said Sankaranarayan.
“I would also like to emphasise that for a state like Goa, which has been promoting global tourism, it is absolutely important to keep the environment clean to attract the tourists both domestic and foreign,” the governor said.
The governor highlighted the importance of a sensitive, sustainable and holistic approach for development of tourism in Goa.
“We should adopt an environmentally sensitive, sustainable and holistic approach for its future growth. There is an urgent need to create world-class infrastructure to foster tourism,” he added.
- Goa wants to push tourists towards hinterland - Aug 24, 2011
- Government committed to promoting sustainable tourism: Minister - Jul 27, 2010
- Government to root out Goa mining mafia: Governor (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- Chennai architect to participate in global business summit - Aug 04, 2012
- Goa should look beyond beaches for tourism: Governor - Jan 26, 2011
- Subodh Kant Sahai calls for more thrust on domestic tourism - Mar 14, 2011
- Goa aims to cash in on Bollywood boom - Dec 19, 2011
- Sahay urges people to join Clean India campaign - Jan 09, 2012
- Sahai urges people to join Clean India campaign (Lead) - Jan 10, 2012
- Goa tourism policy may lose its 'fun' - May 20, 2012
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- Church to tourists: Leave beaches, embrace Goa culture - Sep 30, 2011
- Goa plans mega tourism circuits with Maharashtra, Karnataka - Aug 16, 2010
- Helicopter tourism next big thing for Goa: Kamat - Mar 18, 2011
- Three five-star hotels on PPP mode likely in Goa - Mar 23, 2011
Tags: 50th anniversary, beaches, development of tourism, global tourism, hinterland, holistic approach, liberation day, panaji, sankaranarayanan, tourism destination, tourism in goa, tourism infrastructure, tourists, world class infrastructure