Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in OrissaNovember 8th, 2010 - 11:59 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Nov 8 (IANS) Heavy rains were forecast in parts of Orissa Monday as cyclonic storm ‘Jal’ over southwest Bay of Bengal weakened into a depression, officials said.
The cyclonic storm weakened into a depression and crossed north Tamil Nadu and south Andhra Pradesh coast Sunday night, an official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told IANS.
It was laying centered over coastal areas of north Tamil Nadu and south Andhra Pradesh, about 60 km north of Chennai Sunday night.
Under its influence, heavy rainfall and thundershowers are expected in parts of Orissa in the next couple of days, the official said.
Two Orissa ports - Paradip and Gopalpur - have been advised to keep the storm warning signal hoisted. The fishermen in the state’s coastal belt have been asked to remain cautious while venturing into the sea, he said.
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 07, 2010
- Two Orissa ports on alert over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 06, 2010
- Relief for coastal Andhra as cyclone threat dissipates - Nov 08, 2010
- Storm warning signal hoisted at Orissa ports - May 17, 2010
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Alert in Andhra as cyclone threatens coast - Nov 06, 2010
- Storm warning hoisted at Orissa ports - Sep 22, 2011
- Tidal waves continue to slam Andhra coast - Dec 29, 2011
- Rain-battered coastal Andhra braces for cyclone - Nov 04, 2010
- Navy rescues 11 fishermen, Andhra coast on high alert (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, bay of bengal, bhubaneswar, chennai, coastal areas, coastal belt, cyclone, fishermen, gopalpur, heavy rains, jal, meteorological centre, orissa, paradip, rainfall, southwest bay, storm warning, tamil nadu, thundershowers, warning signal