Cyclone Phet may hit Gujarat during weekendJune 3rd, 2010 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
Gandhinagar, June 3 (IANS) The severe cyclonic storm Phet, which has claimed seven lives, has altered course but may again hit Gujarat’s coast around the weekend, the weather office said Thursday.
The storm is moving towards Oman but is expected to turn back towards the Gujarat-Karachi coast, according to the India Meteorological Department (IMD).
Phet is now centred about 1,400 km west of Mumbai and 1,100 km southwest of Kutch in Gujarat.
The impending cyclone is expected to trigger heavy rains over Saurashtra and Kutch regions over the next two days. Squally winds with speed reaching 40-50 kmph would also hit the Gujarat coast.
Since the sea will be choppy, fishermen have been advised not to venture into the waters.
About 10,000 people have been evacuated from the coastal areas of Gujarat, including Kandla port, an official spokesperson said.
Seven people have so far lost their lives due to the turbulence generated by the incoming storm.
The deaths occurred in Rajkot, Surendranagar, Jamnagar and Mehsana districts, caused due to lightning strikes or wall collapses.
- Cyclone Phet may give Gujarat a miss (Lead) - Jun 03, 2010
- Cyclone Phet may hit Gujarat in next few days - Jun 02, 2010
- Gujarat readies for cyclone Phet, squalls hit coastal areas (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
- Cyclonic storm Phet approaching Gujarat - Jun 01, 2010
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Arabian Sea depression may move towards Oman coast - Nov 28, 2011
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Cyclone Phet threatening the Indian and Pakistani coastlines - Jun 02, 2010
- NASA's TRMM satellite helped estimate rainfall generated by Cyclone Phet - Jun 09, 2010
- Thunderstorms kills 37 in Pakistan (Lead) - Jun 05, 2010
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclone Ward weakens, to cross Tamil Nadu coast - Dec 15, 2009
- Rain-battered coastal Andhra braces for cyclone - Nov 04, 2010
- Storms, landslides kill 13 in Pakistan - Jun 05, 2010
Tags: coastal areas, cyclone, fishermen, gujarat, heavy rains, incoming storm, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, jamnagar, karachi, kmph, kutch, lightning strikes, mehsana, phet, saurashtra, seven lives, severe cyclonic storm, wall collapses, weather office