Cyclone nearing west coast, fishermen warned (With Images)November 10th, 2009 - 6:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 10 (IANS) A cyclonic storm is intensifying in the Arabian Sea and is likely to move near south Gujarat and north Maharashtra and could bring with it strong winds to Goa, Karnataka and Kerala as well, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said Tuesday.
According to the IMD website, there is “a depression over the Arabian Sea (positioned) latitude 13.50 (north) and Longitude 70.50 (east)”.
The location was approximately 470 km from Mangalore, 420 km from Goa and about 700 km from Mumbai at 11.30 a.m. Tuesday.
In a cyclone alert, the IMD website states that the depression is “likely to intensify further into a cyclonic storm and move in a northerly direction for some more time and then north-northeastwards and cross south Gujarat and north Maharashtra coast” by early Thursday.
Heavy rainfall is predicted along the coast in affected states and fishermen have been warned not to go out to sea.
“Under its influence heavy to very heavy rainfall at a few places and isolated heavy rainfall at most places is likely to occur over south Gujarat from tomorrow (Wednesday).
“Squally winds having speed up to 75 kmph are likely along and off Karnataka, Goa and Maharashtra coasts during the next 48 hours and over Lakshadweep area and Kerala coasts during the next 24 hours. Fishermen have been advised not to venture into sea along and off these coasts,” the IMD alert said.
- Cyclone Phyan threatens India's west coast - Nov 11, 2009
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Mumbai, west coast brace for Cyclone Phyan (Lead) - Nov 11, 2009
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Arabian Sea depression may move towards Oman coast - Nov 28, 2011
- Andhra escapes rain fury as depression moves to Orissa - Oct 08, 2010
- Cyclone Thane to cross Tamil Nadu coast Friday morning - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gears up for cyclone Thane (Lead) - Dec 29, 2011
- Cyclonic storm Phet approaching Gujarat - Jun 01, 2010
- Cyclone alert issued across Maharashtra, Gujarat coastline - Nov 11, 2009
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- Rains claim 16 lives, damage crops in Andhra - Dec 08, 2010
- Deep depression crosses West Bengal coast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: arabian sea, coasts, cyclone, cyclonic storm, goa, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, karnataka, kerala, kmph, longitude, mangalore, New Delhi, north maharashtra, northerly direction, rainfall, south gujarat, squally, strong winds, west coast fishermen