Cyclone Bijli alert along Orissa coastApril 16th, 2009 - 12:30 am ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 15 (IANS) The meteorological office here Wednesday issued a cyclone warning in Orissa putting the state’s four ports on high alert.
“A deep depression formed over the central Bay of Bengal and adjoining southeast Bay of Bengal has moved in the northwesterly direction and intensified into a cyclonic storm,” S.K. Dastidar of the Bhubaneswar met office told IANS.
In the evening, it was laying centered at about 500 km south-south-east of Orissa’s Gopalpur town, Dastidar said describing the storm as Bijli.
It is likely to intensify further and move in a north-northwesterly direction for some time, he said.
Rain or thundershowers were likely to occur at many places over coastal Orissa and a few places over interior Orissa in the next 48 hours, he said.
Heavy rains are also likely at isolated places in coastal districts.
Local Cautionary Signal Number-three (LC-III) has been hoisted at the Gopalpur, Puri, Paradeep and Chandbali ports, he said.
Strong winds with a speed of around 70 km per hour are likely to prevail along and off the Orissa coast Thursday morning. Sea condition will be rough to very rough and fishermen have been advised not to venture into the sea.
- Storm may hit Orissa ports alerted - Jun 15, 2011
- Orissa sounds cyclone alert - May 25, 2009
- Orissa alerts coastal districts as cyclone 'Bijli' approaches - Apr 16, 2009
- Storm warning signal hoisted at Orissa ports - May 17, 2010
- Deep depression crosses West Bengal coast (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Storm warning hoisted at Orissa ports - Sep 22, 2011
- Depression over Bay of Bengal, fishermen alerted - Oct 19, 2011
- Two Orissa ports on alert over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 06, 2010
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone 'Jal' - Nov 07, 2010
- Cyclone weakens, heavy rains likely in Orissa - Nov 08, 2010
- Cyclonic storm 'Jal' moves slightly, alert sounded in Andhra, Tamil Nadu - Nov 06, 2010
- Monsoon set to hit Maharashtra in next two days - Jun 07, 2011
- Orissa fishermen alerted over cyclone Laila - May 19, 2010
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Andhra on alert as cyclone 'Thane' threatens coast (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: bay of bengal, bhubaneswar, coastal districts, coastal orissa, cyclone, cyclonic storm, fishermen, gopalpur, heavy rains, lc iii, meteorological office, morning sea, northwesterly direction, orissa coast, ports, sea condition, signal number, southeast bay, strong winds, thursday morning