Crocodile, boa constrictor seized at Mexican marketJuly 27th, 2011 - 11:41 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, July 27 (IANS/EFE) More than 180 animals, including a boa constrictor, crocodile and owl were confiscated by Mexican authorities from vendors at a street market here that specialises in products associated with folk medicine and the occult.
Several of the animals rescued belong to endangered species, the Attorney General’s Office said.
Among the animals rescued from Mexico City’s Sonora market are 170 tortoises, an owl, a crocodile, a boa constrictor, two other snakes and seven black iguanas.
In addition, 17 tortoise shells and 12 skins of different animals such as lynx, anteater, jaguar and black iguana, as well as stuffed skins of toucans were also seized, the AG’s office said.
The market is a traditional sales location for animals, amulets, lotions and herbs used by healers and shamans against the evil eye, to attract lovers or luck.
The operation was part of a nationwide sweep conducted from July 21-24 in which 5,571 examples of flora and fauna were seized, the AG’s office said.
- 170 canaries seized from bus in Colombia - Aug 30, 2011
- Cold wave kills 34 animals at Mexican zoo - Feb 06, 2011
- Huge pet crocodile seized in Mexico - Feb 10, 2012
- 9 die in shootout in Mexico - Feb 11, 2011
- 4.5 tonnes of marijuana seized in Mexico - Mar 11, 2011
- Four dead, five missing in Mexico boat accident - Mar 10, 2011
- British family shares home with 80 animals - Nov 27, 2010
- Over 190 endangered animals seized in Mexico - Jul 07, 2010
- Chameleon, baby crocodiles found at Mexican airport - Apr 25, 2011
- Mexico seizes 39 art treasures smuggled out of Singapore - Jan 18, 2011
- Squirrel monkeys among hundreds of rare animals rescued in Peru - Nov 19, 2009
- 4.5 tonnes marijuana seized in Mexico - Mar 11, 2011
- Mexico, China seal extradition treaty - Jun 12, 2012
- Human sacrifice in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- 60 tonnes of drug-making chemicals seized in Mexico - Jun 05, 2011
Tags: amulets, anteater, boa constrictor, crocodile, endangered species, evil eye, flora and fauna, folk medicine, healers, lotions, lynx, mexican authorities, mexico city, owl, sales location, shamans, snakes, tortoise, tortoise shells, tortoises