Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles (Lead)July 20th, 2012 - 12:42 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 19 (IANS) The Delhi High Court has issued notice to the central government and the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) on a plea seeking steps for putting in place stringent emission standards for the diesel-run vehicles.
A division bench of Acting Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw Wednesday sought response from the ministry of environment and forests and the CPCB by Sep 5. The petition was filed by A. Narayanan.
The court also issued notice to the ministeries of petroleum and natural gas and finance and asked them to file reply by Sep 5.
A petition sought direction to replace old diesel vehicles if they failed to meet the new emission standards.
“Take adequate steps immediately to prescribe stringent emission standards on all appropriate parameters such as particulate matter, nitrogen oxide and lead for diesel vehicles uniformly throughout the country so as to control and reduce air pollution and protect the health and wellbeing of citizens,” it said.
“The subsidy policy of the government is promoting the sale of diesel and aggravating pollution,” it said.
It was also suggested to the court through the PIL to direct the government to implement the emission standards adopted by other countries.
“Apart from the economic burden to the exchequer and pecuniary advantage to the diesel engine sector, this subsidy is leading to a huge burden on public health on account of high environmental pollution caused by the ‘dieselisation’ of the car sector…,” it said.
- Court notice to centre on diesel-run vehicles - Jul 19, 2012
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged - Sep 12, 2012
- Court notice on plea against effluent discharge - Mar 28, 2012
- Court notice on Delhi's illegal colonies - Aug 22, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi government on bus corridor - Aug 01, 2012
- Ban uninsured vehicles, court urged (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Central, Delhi governments get notice on mobile phone towers - Aug 01, 2012
- Delhi government to study bus corridor report by July 23 (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Court notice to Delhi bar council - Mar 07, 2012
- Court notice on pre-primary classes in state-run schools - Sep 06, 2012
- Civic agencies get court notice on illegal hookah bars - Aug 01, 2012
- Why not asylum to Pakistani Hindus, court asks government - Dec 21, 2011
- Court hauls up Delhi Police for not implementing order - Aug 29, 2012
- Order reserved on plea seeking curb on 'illegal charges' by car dealers - Mar 21, 2012
- High Court notice to Delhi government on contempt plea - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: adequate steps, air pollution, car sector, central pollution control board, cpcb, delhi high court, diesel vehicles, division bench, economic burden, emission standards, environmental pollution, health and wellbeing, ministry of environment, ministry of environment and forests, narayanan, nitrogen oxide, particulate matter, pollution control board, rajiv, sahai