Control rooms to check poaching in MaharashtraJuly 23rd, 2008 - 8:44 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 23 (IANS) The Maharashtra government will set up 33 forest control rooms in the state to enable people report incidents of cruelty to animals and wildlife poaching, Forest Minister Babanrao Pachpute told the state assembly Wednesday. These control rooms would come up in all the districts of the state - barring Mumbai district and Mumbai suburban district, he said.
The decision has been taken following several cases of poaching and maiming of wild animals in the state’s forests recently.
People coming to know of such incidents can call up the forest control rooms and report the matter, Pachpute said.
Barely a fortnight ago, state transport and tribal development minister D.B. Atram resigned over his alleged involvement in the poaching of an endangered chinkara deer.
The minister, belonging to the Nationalist Congress Party (NCP), said in his letter to Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh that though he was not involved in any manner in the case, he was resigning since an inquiry was initiated against him.
The remains of a chinkara deer were discovered from Atram’s house in Gadchiroli district, eastern Maharashtra, in the first week of July following a raid by the forest department.
- Ex-minister's bail plea in Chinkara poaching case rejected (Lead) - Aug 30, 2008
- Probe ordered in poaching charge against army soldiers - Nov 25, 2011
- Maharashtra minister resigns over poaching allegations - Jul 07, 2008
- Ex-minister nabbed for poaching Chinkara deer - Aug 30, 2008
- Army men booked for black buck poaching - Dec 20, 2011
- Minister attempted to battle Mantralaya blaze - Jun 21, 2012
- Maoists kill 11 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Third Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Maoists kill 12 CRPF troopers in landmine blast (Fourth Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Five poachers arrested in Rajasthan - Jul 26, 2012
- Maharashtra minister accused of Chinkara case resigns - Jul 07, 2008
- 16 injured in Mantralaya fire, blaze under control (Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 21, 2012
- Two killed, 16 injured in Mantralaya fire (Intro Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- Three poachers arrested with chinkara parts - Jan 28, 2012
- Maoists kill village Congress leader in Maharashtra - Jan 28, 2012
- No intelligence alert on Maoist attack: R.R. Patil - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: atram, chief minister, chinkara deer, cruelty to animals, deshmukh, development minister, forest department, forest minister, forests, fortnight, maharashtra government, mumbai, nationalist congress party, ncp, report incidents, state assembly, suburban district, tribal development, wild animals