Conservation group warns of more birds in danger of extinctionMay 14th, 2009 - 7:42 am ICT by IANS
Geneva, May 14 (DPA) More of the world’s species of birds are threatened with extinction than ever before, the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) said Thursday.
The critically endangered list has increased by two birds since last year and the larger list of species threatened with extinction stood at 1,227, the IUCN said.
Action could help save them from disappearing, the organisation said. Simon Stuart, the head of the Swiss-based IUCN, said the growing list was “extremely worrying”.
Colombia’s Gorgeted Puffleg, which was only recently discovered, was one of the new species listed as critically endangered.
The Palila, a large finch, was also moved up to the critically endangered category. Its home territory, the Hawaiian islands, were considered by the IUCN to be the world’s “biggest extinction hotspot for birds”.
The IUCN, which conducted the study with Birdlife International, said rare birds were not the only animals threatened, noting that common species were becoming less common in some areas.
The organisation added however that “it’s not all doom and gloom”.
Conservation efforts in countries, including New Zealand and Mauritius, have helped species climb out of deep holes. There are several cases of birds that are now classified as endangered, rather than in the more critical category, thanks to those efforts.
- Great Indian Bustard now 'critically endangered', only 250 left - Jun 07, 2011
- A fifth of world's life at extinction risk - Oct 27, 2010
- Syrians held in Russia for poaching rare birds - Aug 09, 2012
- Madagascar bird declared extinct - Jun 20, 2010
- Madagascar Bird Extinct - May 27, 2010
- Endangered Garuda takes wing in Bihar - Nov 16, 2011
- A fifth of world's life at extinction risk: Report - Oct 27, 2010
- Is Earth already on the brink of 6th mass extinction? - Mar 03, 2011
- 100 threatened animals, plants face extinction by 2020 - Sep 11, 2012
- Save 587 sites to save life, urge scientists - Oct 26, 2010
- On World Sparrow Day, move to monitor common birds - Mar 19, 2012
- Growing number of Cambodia vultures offer hope for endangered scavengers - Sep 06, 2010
- Scientists fear another round of mass extinction (Lead) - Oct 27, 2010
- Scientists fear mass extinction has begun - Oct 27, 2010
- Rise in number of threatened bird species in the country: Govt. - Aug 25, 2010
Tags: birdlife international, conservation efforts, conservation group, conservation of nature, critical category, danger of extinction, deep holes, doom and gloom, dpa, endangered list, finch, gorgeted puffleg, hawaiian islands, home territory, hotspot, iucn, palila, rare birds, species of birds, two birds