Cold wave: Haryana shuts all schools, Punjab alters timingsJanuary 5th, 2012 - 9:13 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Jan 5 (IANS) The Haryana government Thursday ordered all schools in the state to remain closed till Jan 16 in view of the intense cold wave and foggy conditions prevailing over the region.
Haryana Education Minister Geeta Bhukkal said the state government has decided to observe holidays in government, government-aided and private schools in the state from Jan 5 to 16.
She said the decision had been taken in view of intense cold wave and dense fog conditions prevailing in the region.
The Punjab government, through an order, directed that the opening timings of all government schools would be delayed by 30 minutes due to the cold conditions.
A spokesman of Punjab education department said the morning time of the schools now would be 9.30 a.m. instead of 9 a.m. He said the timing has been changed after the due approval of Chief Electoral Officer, Punjab in view of the model code of conduct being in force for the Jan 30 assembly elections.
- Haryana changes school timings due to cold wave - Dec 28, 2011
- Cold keeps grip on north India, fog affects 51 trains (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Haryana schools to re-open July 9 - Jul 01, 2012
- Bone-chilling winter cold stings northern India, 30 dead in UP (Intro Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- 11 kids killed in Haryana accident (Second Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
- Cold waves in northern India claim 204 lives - Jan 08, 2010
- Haryana shuts schools due to soaring heat - May 26, 2010
- North India shivers as winter chill continues (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2011
- 11 deaths in UP, Jharkhand toll 45 as winter onslaught continues (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- Agra schools to remain shut till Sunday - Jan 18, 2012
- Bone-chilling winter cold stings northern India (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- Cold wave sweeps across Haryana, Punjab - Jan 03, 2011
- Panjab, Haryana face fog chaos - Dec 27, 2010
- Chandigarh schools extend winter vacations till Jan 16 - Jan 11, 2011
- Delhi schools close due to cold (Second Lead) - Jan 11, 2010
Tags: 30 minutes, assembly elections, chief electoral officer, code of conduct, cold conditions, cold wave, dense fog, education department, education minister, foggy conditions, geeta, government schools, haryana government, holidays, model code, morning time, private schools, punjab government, spokesman, state government