Coca-Cola starting water conservation projects on World Environment DayJune 4th, 2008 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 4 (IANS) Coca-Cola India is planning to start 20 water conservation projects Thursday to reach its goal of being a “net zero” groundwater user. “We are planning to inaugurate and dedicate 20 water conservation projects which will take us closer to fulfilling our commitment on reaching a ‘net zero’ balance with respect to groundwater usage,” Deepak Jolly, spokesperson for Coca-Cola India, said here Wednesday.
Other corporate bodies are also planning special initiatives to mark the day.
The CII-ITC Centre of Excellence for Sustainable Development has made a 40 second short film, directed by Kunal Vohra, on climate change and its effects on human health. The film will be released Thursday on television channels and the Internet.
Coca-Cola India will be focussing on water conservation and increasing ecological awareness. “We believe water conservation is of utmost importance,” Jolly said. “India has 17 percent of the world’s population but only four percent of global fresh water resources. Though this difference is partly made up through adequate rainfall, we are unable to conserve enough water.”
The company is also planning a number of mass awareness campaigns among children and through the radio waves. It hopes to reach out to at least 100,000 people across 60 cities.
Asked about the ecologiocal footprint of their packaging products, Jolly said Coke PET bottles are recyclable and the company has established a sort of value chain. The bottles can be compressed and then recycled and reused in the production of products like shoes, carpets or jackets.
- Bottling firm to invest $1.1 bn in Colombia, Brazil - Mar 01, 2012
- Kerala children walk to support rural students - Sep 18, 2011
- Coca-Cola India's 'Support My School' campaign wins Silicon Valley support - Aug 23, 2012
- Coca-Cola bosses axe 'love-rat' Rooney from new ad campaign - Oct 03, 2010
- US firms back 'Support My School' campaign in India - Dec 18, 2011
- Coca-Cola eyes Olympic market in Russia - Sep 26, 2011
- Coca-Cola, Jain Irrigation to showcase modern mango farming in Andhra - Jul 24, 2012
- Coca-Cola India and World Vision to support rural schools in India - Jun 06, 2012
- Coca Cola to roll out special Tendulkar cans - Jul 18, 2011
- Coca Cola plans to invest $5 billion in India by 2020 (Lead) - Jun 26, 2012
- Coca-Cola reassures product safety in China - May 01, 2012
- Mexican bottler to build $140 mn plant in Brazil - Dec 07, 2011
- Coca-Cola delivery fleet goes green in Delhi - Jul 09, 2009
- Increasing opportunities for women-led businesses in India - Mar 11, 2012
- HCC among 10 global companies for green initiative - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: adequate rainfall, awareness campaigns, centre of excellence, cii, climate change and its effects, corporate bodies, ecological awareness, fresh water resources, groundwater, human health, packaging products, pet bottles, radio waves, short film, television channels, value chain, vohra, water conservation projects, world environment day, zero balance