Cloudy morning, another rainy day expectedAugust 26th, 2010 - 11:52 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 26 (IANS) After seven consecutive days of rain, Delhiites woke up to a cloudy morning Thursday with the weather office predicting showers later in the day and commuters hoping that they would be spared the agony of endless traffic snarls.
“The sky will remain cloudy. There is a possibility of heavy rains and thundershowers in the afternoon or evening,” an India Meteorological Department (IMD) official said.
Delhi recorded a minimum temperature of 25.6 degrees Celsius, normal for this time of the season, while the maximum is expected to hover around 31.7 degrees, two notches below average, the official said.
The humidity levels were on the higher side with the maximum recorded at 95 percent and the minimum at 73 percent.
The city has received a total 681.3 mm of rainfall so far this monsoon.
“The rains will continue till the end of this month or may even extend till mid-September,” the official said.
Continuous rains in the last one week disrupted normal life for commuters with flooding in low-lying areas causing traffic snarls in many places. The river Yamuna flowed above the danger mark, posing a threat to low-lying localities.
A part of the Ring Road had to be closed Wednesday, leading to jams that stretched for several kilometres.
- Cloudy day expected Friday (Lead) - Aug 26, 2010
- Cloudy day, heavy rains likely - Aug 22, 2010
- Humid day in Delhi, rains ahead - Aug 25, 2011
- Delhi deluge continues, rail and road traffic hit - Aug 25, 2010
- Heavy rains in Delhi, more showers forecast - Aug 01, 2010
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, disrupt normal life - Jun 28, 2012
- Another rainy day in Delhi - Aug 20, 2010
- Pleasant morning in Delhi, rains in store - Jul 28, 2011
- Incessant rains in Delhi, more likely Monday (Lead) - Aug 01, 2010
- It rains chaos on Delhi roads (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2010
- Rains lash Delhi again, commuter woes continue - Sep 16, 2011
- Muggy Monday in Delhi, more rains expected (Lead) - Aug 16, 2010
- Sporadic rains lash Delhi, more to come (Lead) - Sep 05, 2010
- Sharp showers in Delhi hit traffic (Lead) - Jul 28, 2011
- Rains lash Delhi, traffic snarls follow (Lead) - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: agony, cloudy morning, commuters, danger mark, days of rain, heavy rains, humidity levels, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, jams, minimum temperature, monsoon, notches, rainy day, river yamuna, seven consecutive days, thundershowers, time of the season, traffic snarls, weather office