Cloud burst kills one in Chamoli, Badrinath route blockedJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:55 pm ICT by IANS
Chamoli, July 5 (IANS) A cloud burst in Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district Thursday morning killed a woman and injured four people, and blocked roads to Badrinath, an official said.
Talking to IANS, Chamoli district magistrate S.A. Murugesan said that the rubble from the hills, following the cloud burst in Beriya area, entered a Border Road Organisation (BRO) store and a tourist resort.
“A woman got trapped in the resort under the rubble and died,” he said.
The road to Badrinath has also been blocked due to the rubble and debris that has been washed down from the upper hills. Thousands of pilgrims have been stranded on the route.
Traffic has come to a halt due to the rains in the region, which began Wednesday night and still continues, Murugesan said.
Border Roads Organisation troopers have begun clearing the roads and normalcy is likely to be restored by late night or early Friday morning, he added.
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu, Himachal (Second Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Uttarakhand Govt. advisory asks pilgrims not to visit Badrinath - Jul 20, 2009
- Rain kills six in Uttarakhand, pilgrimage halted - Aug 04, 2012
- 40 missing in Uttarakhand, rescue efforts on - Aug 05, 2012
- 500 tourists stranded in Sikkim due to landslides - Jun 01, 2010
- Landslides block Srinagar-Jammu highway again - Feb 22, 2012
- Landslide blocks National Highway in Sikkim - Sep 01, 2010
- Heavy rainfall disrupts normal life in Uttarakhand - Aug 18, 2009
- Manali-Rohtang Pass closed after cloudburst - Aug 04, 2012
- SC sets up panel to study Amarnath deaths - Jul 20, 2012
- Srinagar-Leh highway opens for light vehicles - Apr 25, 2012
- Srinagar-Jammu highway closed, avalanche warning - Feb 14, 2012
- Northeast road-rail links snapped, situation worsens - Jul 16, 2012
- Rohtang Pass reopens for traffic - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: border road, border roads, bro, chamoli district, cloud burst, debris, district magistrate, friday morning, late night, normalcy, pilgrims, route traffic, rubble, thursday morning, tourist resort, uttarakhand, wednesday night