Clear skies in Mohali after thunderstormMarch 30th, 2011 - 10:21 am ICT by IANS
Mohali, March 30 (IANS) Ahead of the crucial India-Pakistan cricket World Cup semi-final, the skies cleared up Wednesday morning after a thunderstorm followed by light rain in Mohali and Chandigarh.
Met officials said the skies would remain clear for most of the day. They added, however, that there was possibility of light showers towards the evening.
The high-voltage semi-final clash between India and Pakistan starts at the Punjab Cricket Association (PCA) stadium here at 2.30 p.m. It will be a day-night encounter.
Several high-profile people, including the Indian and Pakistani prime ministers, Manmohan Singh and Yousuf Raza Gilani, and Congress president Sonia Gandhi and her family (Rahul Gandhi, Priyanka Gandhi and Robert Vadra), will watch the match amid unprecedented security cover.
Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar, union ministers, chief ministers governors of states, industrialist Mukesh Ambani and Bollywood celebrities like Aamir Khan and Deepika Padukone are expected to see the match.
Light rain had lashed Chandigarh, 10 km from here, and Mohali late Tuesday evening. The showers were accompanied by thunder and strong winds leading to fears that the match, that has generated unprecedented excitement in the subcontinent, could be a washout.
“Partly cloudy sky will prevail over in the Mohali region on Wednesday. Thunderstorms and dust-storms along with light rain, by the evening, could also prevail in various parts of this region,” a Met official had told IANS.
- Light rain in Mohali ahead of India-Pakistan match - Mar 30, 2011
- Rain can play spoilsport in India-Pakistan semifinal - Mar 29, 2011
- Pakistan PM Gilani in India for World Cup semifinal (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- Pakistan PM Gilani arrives in Chandigarh - Mar 30, 2011
- Mohali match: Can Chandigarh's infrastructre handle it? - Mar 27, 2011
- 325 more Pakistani fans cross into India - Mar 29, 2011
- It's raining VVIPs, celebrities at Mohali - Mar 30, 2011
- Pakistani visitors take back 'bagfull of good memories' - Mar 31, 2011
- Manmohan Singh, Sonia in Chandigarh for match (Lead) - Mar 30, 2011
- Rain, thunderstorms lash Punjab, Haryana - May 30, 2011
- Cricket fans wander in Mohali sans tickets - Mar 28, 2011
- Punjab cricket board owes police Rs.11 crore! - Apr 15, 2011
- Students from Chandigarh, Lahore talk of peace at Mohali - Mar 30, 2011
- India, Pakistan PMs to talk at Mohali stadium - Mar 30, 2011
- Mohali all set to welcome Pakistani cricket fans - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: aamir khan, bollywood celebrities, cloudy sky, congress president sonia gandhi, cricket world cup, deepika padukone, dust storms, governors of states, india and pakistan, india pakistan cricket, light rain, light showers, Lok Sabha, manmohan singh, meira kumar, mohali, pca stadium, priyanka gandhi, punjab cricket association, robert vadra