Chinese pandas are Scotland’s new celebrity coupleDecember 4th, 2011 - 9:07 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Dec 4 (IANS) A giant panda couple from China’s Sichuan province Sunday left for Scotland as part of an awareness programme that will see them spending the next 10 years in their new home in Edinburgh Zoo.
Yang Guang and Tian Tian travelled from the provincial capital of Chengdu, according to the China Conservation and Research Centre for Giant Panda.
Two researchers are accompanying the pandas, and will remain in that country till the animals are adapted to their new environment, the centre said.
Both countries had signed an agreement in January to bring the pandas to Edinburgh zoo for 10 years so that people there get a chance to see the majestic animals up close.
To ensure the pandas feel at home, the Edinburgh Zoo had sent its staff to China to acquire skills to raise pandas, according to the China Daily.
Yang Guang and Tian Tian were born in 2003 and have been living in Sichuan ever since, the panda centre said.
- Britain's only giant pandas fail to mate - Apr 05, 2012
- Chinese giant pandas to fly to Paris - Jan 10, 2012
- 'Olympics panda' born in China - Jul 29, 2012
- China's 'spoilt' pandas - Jun 18, 2011
- China creates special hospital for pandas - May 05, 2011
- China loans two pandas to Canada - Feb 12, 2012
- Panda still endangered despite baby boom - Sep 03, 2010
- China marks 140th anniversary of Giant Panda's discovery - Aug 16, 2009
- Want to be a panda keeper? - Sep 28, 2010
- China starts panda census - Jun 28, 2011
- Giant panda gives birth at Washington zoo - Sep 18, 2012
- Pandas sent to the wild in China - Jan 12, 2012
- Panda numbers increase in China - Dec 17, 2011
- China denies copying high-speed rail technology - Nov 23, 2010
- Earthquake blamed for rise in divorce cases in China - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: 10 years, beijing, celebrity couple, chengdu, china daily, chinese pandas, edinburgh zoo, giant panda, majestic animals, panda, pandas, provincial capital, scotland, sichuan province, yang guang