Chinese man raises 6,000 crocodilesJuly 10th, 2012 - 5:38 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, July 10 (IANS) A farmer and entrepreneur in China has built the largest private crocodile farm in the country that raises around 6,100 crocodiles.
Yao Shaojun, from Funing city in Jiangsu province, started raising crocodiles in 2004.
He specialises in Siamese crocodiles and recently bought 36 from Thailand, the China Daily reported Tuesday.
Siamese crocodiles live in tropical weather, and Yao uses a solar-powered green house in winter as well as artificial auxiliary heating to help the crocodiles overcome the difference in temperature.
The biggest crocodile in Yao’s farm weights 350 kg.
The news comes as a positive development after 3,600 smuggled Siamese crocodiles were recently saved by police from being served as exotic dishes in Guangxi Zhuang region.
The crocodiles were seized from smugglers trucks while crossing the China-Vietnam border.
Siamese crocodiles are a critically endangered species native to most southeast Asian countries. Their meat is served as a delicacy in some southern Chinese cities, according to animal rights activists.
- 3,600 crocodiles rescued in China - Jul 07, 2012
- World's largest medicinal botanic garden in China - Dec 09, 2011
- China launches oil spill response vessel - Apr 14, 2012
- Rare freshwater jellyfish found in China - Aug 27, 2011
- Doctor selling Vietnam kids to Chinese families - Aug 01, 2011
- Dog plays mom to three tiger cubs - Jun 11, 2012
- 175 killed in China floods - Jun 20, 2011
- Food poisoning fells 80 sick in China - Jul 10, 2012
- Chinese police bust drug ring - Jun 28, 2012
- Respect our accord with Vietnam, China tells other nations - Oct 17, 2011
- 16,000 evacuated in China amid flooding fears - Jun 30, 2011
- 125-year-old woman is oldest Chinese - Oct 17, 2010
- Chinese men don 'honeybee suits' for show! - Nov 22, 2010
- Chinese police bust trafficking rings, rescue 89 infants - Jul 27, 2011
- Three crocodiles escape custody in China - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: animal rights activists, beijing, biggest crocodile, china daily, china vietnam, chinese cities, chinese man, crocodile, crocodile farm, crocodiles, delicacy, dishes, entrepreneur, green house, jiangsu province, siamese, smugglers, southeast asian countries, tropical weather, vietnam border