China urges joint effort for sustainable developmentJune 21st, 2012 - 10:23 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, June 21 (IANS) Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao Wednesday urged the global community to make joint efforts to promote sustainable development.
“To jointly promote sustainable development, we should take a fair, just, open and inclusive approach,” Wen said at the three-day UN Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20 summit), which opened Wednesday.
He stressed that countries around the globe should continue to work as partners, adhere to the Rio principles, “especially the principle of common but differentiated responsibilities”, Xinhua reported.
He announced that China will contribute $6 million to a UN environment fund for projects and activities that help developing countries raise capacity for environmental protection.
He also promised that China will make available 200 million yuan (about $31 million) for a three-year international project to help small island countries, least developed countries and African countries tackle climate change.
- India to push for green growth with equity at Rio+20 (Roundup) - Jun 20, 2012
- 100 mn Chinese live in poverty, says Wen Jiabao - Jun 21, 2012
- China, Bhutan ready to forge diplomatic ties - Jun 22, 2012
- PM to press for resolute action on eurozone crisis (Lead) - Jun 16, 2012
- Spotlight on Rio as Earth Summit kicks off Wednesday - Jun 19, 2012
- Chinese PM urges poverty reduction - May 27, 2012
- Wen urges cooperation to address trade imbalance with US - Mar 14, 2012
- India to focus on infrastructure-led growth at G20 (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Sustainable development needed in Asia: Chinese official (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- India, China agree to continue cooperation on climate change - Dec 16, 2010
- Chinese premier meets Nepal president, PM (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Rich nations shy from commitment at Rio Earth Summit - Jun 21, 2012
- Wen reiterates support to Pakistan's sovereignty - Aug 25, 2011
- China to play more active role in UN affairs - Sep 23, 2010
- Earth Summit opens in Brazil - Jun 20, 2012
Tags: 31 million, 6 million, african countries, chinese premier wen jiabao, climate change, developing countries, environmental protection, global community, globe, island countries, joint effort, june 21, least developed countries, premier wen jiabao, principle, rio de janeiro, sustainable development, wen jiabao, xinhua, yuan