China quake toll crosses 28,000May 17th, 2008 - 4:41 pm ICT by admin
Beijing, May 17 (Xinhua) The toll in Monday’s China earthquake rose to 28,881 Saturday, while 198,347 people were injured, the information office of the State Council said. A total of 15.61 million houses were damaged in quake-hit areas, while 3.13 million houses collapsed.
The quake, measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale, jolted the southwestern province of Sichuan.
Since then, around 145 aftershocks, measuring more than four on the Richter scale, have been recorded in the quake-hit Sichuan province, according to the seismological bureau.
- 24 killed, 150 injured in China quake (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- 5.4-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 01, 2011
- Moderate aftershocks jolt China's quake zone - May 18, 2008
- 300 killed in twin quakes in Iran (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- China quake kills 64, injures over 700 (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Earthquake jolts southwest China - Jan 31, 2010
- Quake rattles Maharashtra - Sep 19, 2011
- Two earthquakes hit northeastern states (Second Lead) - Jul 01, 2012
- China helps 12 mn quake-hit people with $137 bn expenditure - Feb 24, 2012
- Experts rule out fresh killer quake in Nepal, Sikkim - Sep 19, 2011
- Quake hits India's northeast (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jul 01, 2012
- 4.5-magnitude quake hits China - Nov 02, 2011
- School students injured in China quake - Oct 25, 2010
- Powerful quake jolts eastern Indonesia - Dec 26, 2009
- 6.8 magnitude quake hits Peru - Aug 25, 2011