China loans two pandas to CanadaFebruary 12th, 2012 - 5:07 am ICT by IANS
Beijing, Feb 12 (IANS) China has loaned two rare giant pandas to Canada for a research program.
The Chinese Association of Zoological Gardens (CAZG) Saturday signed an agreement with two Canadian zoos in this regard in Chongqing municipality in southwest China.
The panda pair, both about five years old, will stay in Toronto and Calgary zoos for five years each after they arrive in Canada early next year, Xinhua reported.
The male panda, named “Er Shun”, is from a zoo in Chongqing and the female “Ji Li” lives at a research centre in Chengdu.
Giant pandas are the world’s most endangered species. Currently, only about 1,590 Giant pandas live in the wild, mostly confined to the jungles in southwestern China’s Sichuan province. About 300 others have been bred in captivity.
Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper witnessed Saturday’s signing ceremony. “They will be the first pair of pandas to visit Canada since the 1980s,” Harper said.
Harper arrived in Beijing Tuesday on a five-day trip as a state guest. He held talks with top Chinese leaders and witnessed the signing of several bilateral agreements. He visited the southern economic hub of Guangdong province before heading to Chongqing.
- Chinese giant pandas to fly to Paris - Jan 10, 2012
- Chinese pandas are Scotland's new celebrity couple - Dec 04, 2011
- Giant panda gives birth at Washington zoo - Sep 18, 2012
- 'Olympics panda' born in China - Jul 29, 2012
- Adopted Chinese Americans begin root-seeking journey - Jul 28, 2011
- Canadian PM heads to China - Feb 07, 2012
- Canada to strengthen strategic ties with China - Jan 12, 2012
- Panda still endangered despite baby boom - Sep 03, 2010
- Britain's only giant pandas fail to mate - Apr 05, 2012
- Chinese president, Canadian PM discuss strategic ties - Sep 09, 2012
- Signalling new ties, China sends two giant pandas to Taiwan - Dec 23, 2008
- Pandas sent to the wild in China - Jan 12, 2012
- China creates special hospital for pandas - May 05, 2011
- Want to be a panda keeper? - Sep 28, 2010
- China, Canada to build Alzheimer's research centre - Oct 24, 2011
Tags: bilateral agreements, canadian prime minister, canadian prime minister stephen harper, canadian zoos, chengdu, chinese association, chinese leaders, economic hub, giant pandas, guangdong province, panda pair, pandas, prime minister stephen harper, sichuan province, signing ceremony, southwest china, southwestern china, stephen harper, xinhua, zoological gardens