‘China drought has significant impact on environment’June 3rd, 2011 - 5:19 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 3 (IANS) A lingering drought in central and east China’s provinces has had a devastating impact on the environment there, an official said Friday.
Vice Minister of Environmental Protection Li Ganjie said here that the drought has caused the deterioration of water quality in several major lakes.
The drought has led to the sharp reduction of water levels in major lakes such as Poyang Lake, Dongting Lake and Honghu Lake, reported Xinhua.
Monitoring statistics showed that water quality in these lakes saw a noticeable decline in March and April, compared to the same period last year, according to Li.
Wetlands and migrant birds in these regions have also suffered from the drought, the worst to hit the region in decades.
Over 1,333 hectares of wetlands located east of Dongting Lake have dried up. The drought has left the Yangtze River, China’s longest river, with its lowest levels of rainfall since 1961.
Li denied that the drought was aggravated by the river’s Three Gorges Dam and instead stressed that a shortage of rainfall caused it.
The drought has affected parts of Hubei, Hunan, Jiangxi, Anhui, Jiangsu and Zhejiang provinces, which are located near the middle and lower reaches of the Yangtze River. These areas have seen 40 to 60 percent less rainfall than usual.
- Rains likely to hit China's food bowl - May 28, 2012
- Drought affects 35 million in China - May 30, 2011
- 35 mn affected by drought in China - May 28, 2011
- China infuses Yangtze river with one bn fish - Jul 12, 2011
- China's longest river faces worst drought since 1961 - May 23, 2011
- China diverts river water to ease drought - May 19, 2011
- 175 killed in China floods - Jun 20, 2011
- China on highest flood alert, 550,000 evacuated - Jun 17, 2011
- Drought stalks China's food bowl - May 17, 2011
- Yangtze cowfish on verge of extinction - Mar 12, 2012
- Heavy rains bring relief to drought-hit China - Jun 05, 2011
- Chinese scientists research largest freshwater lake - Aug 03, 2012
- China drought causes water shortage - Jan 12, 2012
- China warns of floods, rains as millions face misery - Jun 20, 2011
- Chinese man, 70, maps out 5000-km bike journey! - Apr 06, 2010
Tags: anhui, china drought, dongting lake, east china, gorges dam, hunan, jiangsu, longest river, migrant birds, noticeable decline, poyang lake, rainfall, significant impact, three gorges, vice minister, water levels, xinhua, yangtze river, yangtze river china, zhejiang provinces