Chill in Agra makes it tough for denizens, touristsJanuary 4th, 2011 - 11:57 am ICT by IANS
Agra, Jan 4 (IANS) Foggy conditions prevailed and chilly winds blew in this Taj city early Tuesday, giving denizens and tourists no respite from the bone-chilling cold.The weather office has forecast the maximum temperature to be around 12.2 degrees Celsius and the minimum is likely to hover around 2.6 degrees.
Agra’s minimum temperature Monday night was 2.5 degrees. The maximum temperature had plummeted to 12.5 degrees.
Schools were closed for the second consecutive day and with the weather office indicating intensification of the cold wave in the next couple of days, they are not likely to reopen before Jan 10.
Shopkeepers have also begun packing up earlier in the evening for want of customers.
The night shelters reported full attendance. The Agra municipal corporation lit up bonfires at 42 points in the city.
Tourists too had a tough time adjusting to the cold wave. “Many are choosing to spend time in their rooms, only venturing out in the afternoon,” a hotelier said.
- North India shivers, fog hits rail traffic (Roundup) - Dec 26, 2011
- Six more die in UP, two in Rajastan as winter freeze spreads (Roundup) - Jan 04, 2011
- A bright sun warms, but freeze continues in north India (Roundup) - Jan 23, 2012
- Nippy Thursday across north India (Roundup) - Feb 09, 2012
- Chills spreads, but it's snowless Christmas in north India (Roundup) - Dec 24, 2011
- Cold wave continues to grip north India - Jan 02, 2011
- Bone-chilling winter cold stings northern India, 30 dead in UP (Intro Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- Bone-chilling winter cold stings northern India (Roundup) - Jan 03, 2011
- North India reels under cold onslaught (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- Agra gets to enjoy the sun - Jan 12, 2012
- Coldest Feb 9 in five years, chill to continue Friday (Second Lead) - Feb 09, 2012
- Chilly day in Delhi, dense fog hits train traffic (Second Lead) - Dec 23, 2011
- North India shivers as winter chill continues (Roundup) - Dec 27, 2011
- Room heaters, bonfires keep Ranchi's zoo animals warm - Jan 07, 2011
- Dense fog hits normal life, disrupts air-rail services in Delhi - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: attendance, bonfires, chill, chilly winds, cold wave, couple of days, degrees celsius, denizens, early tuesday, foggy conditions, hotelier, intensification, maximum temperature, minimum temperature, monday night, respite from, tourists, weather office