Chhattisgarh villagers host naming ceremony for lion cubsJune 17th, 2008 - 8:18 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 16 (IANS) About a hundred villagers hosted a feast on the outskirts of state capital to name three lion cubs at a government zoo, an official said Monday. Residents from Hathband, Atari and Gomti villages, which surround the Nandan Van Zoo here, hosted a lunch Sunday to welcome the three cubs to the world.
Forest department officials have been struggling for decades to increase the number of lions in the zoo. Finally, two lionesses gave birth to three cubs March 14.
“Local residents including ‘panch’ (village council member) and sarpanchs (council heads) of three neighbouring villages wanted to host a feast since the birth of the cubs in March to welcome the three new guests,” Kedar Tiwari, Nandan Van Zoo in-charge told IANS.
“We finally allowed them to host the feast Sunday. After a brief religious ceremony the cubs were named - Jai, Vijay and Ajay,” he said.
“The cubs are healthy and weigh about 15 kg. We have started giving them boneless meat as they were till now on mother’s milk,” Tiwari added.
The zoo now has a total of seven lions including the three cubs. There are lions and two lionesses in the park.
The authorities are now planning to bring a tiger from a zoo in Bhilai to arrange mating with Nandan Van’s lone aged tigress to increase the population of the big cats.
- Three lion cubs die at Chhattisgarh zoo - Aug 03, 2012
- Four tiger cubs born in Chhattisgarh zoo - Jun 22, 2011
- Another tiger cub dies in Bihar - Sep 03, 2012
- Tiger cub dies, two others critical - Aug 29, 2012
- Third tiger cub at Patna zoo also dead - Sep 04, 2012
- Lion Triplet Cubs Debut At Bronx Zoo - May 03, 2010
- Tigress gives birth to one cub - Nov 21, 2011
- Ligers Bred In Taiwan To Be Confiscated By Authorties - Aug 16, 2010
- Panna has a new resident - Kanha's orphan tigress - Nov 13, 2011
- Kanha's second orphaned tigress sent to Panna reserve - Nov 13, 2011
- Tigress, cubs kill, eat farmer in Yavatmal (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Ukrainian man to spend 35 days in cage with lion - Aug 04, 2011
- After tigress, Priyanka adopts lioness - Jun 02, 2012
- Roaring news! Translocated tigress gives birth - Dec 17, 2011
- Tiger cub dies in Bhopal - Nov 22, 2011
Tags: ajay, bhilai, big cats, council member, department officials, feast, forest department, jai, lion cubs, lionesses, naming ceremony, nandan, neighbouring villages, outskirts, panch, raipur, religious ceremony, tigress, vijay, world forest