Chhattisgarh plants 10 mn saplings in a day (Lead)July 28th, 2008 - 12:27 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, July 27 (IANS) The Chhattisgarh government said it had planted about 10 million saplings in Raipur district during a day-long ecology drive Sunday. “Thousands of volunteers of various NGOs worked in tandem with the district administration to achieve the target of planting 10 million saplings in a single day in Raipur district,” district collector Sonmoni Borah told reporters.
Chief Minister Raman Singh flew in a helicopter to three different sites to plant saplings.
The drive aimed to convert Raipur district, spread over 13,445 sq km area, into a green zone began at 9 a.m. and ended at 4 p.m.
“Thousands of schoolchildren and officials from the level of village panchayat (council) to district collector besides Chief Minister Raman Singh and several ministers participated in the campaign,” Borah added.
Singh went to three different blocks, Abhanpur, Dharsiwa and Simga, in the district to plant saplings.
Addressing a gathering at Atari village in Dharsiwa block, Singh said sapling plantations at mass level in the state topped the agenda of the government.
He called upon people to help local authorities in developing a green belt in each of the state’s 18 districts.
- 10 mn saplings to be planted on a single day in Chhattisgarh - Jul 27, 2008
- After politicians, officials to plant trees in Bihar - Sep 12, 2011
- Bihar set to turn green, politicians to plant trees - Aug 11, 2011
- Bihar's ruling party on a green mission - Aug 29, 2011
- Dikshit launches plantation drive in NDMC area - Sep 01, 2012
- Dikshit launches plantation drive - Aug 06, 2012
- Jatropha saplings destroyed in Chhattisgarh - Aug 02, 2010
- 40 crore saplings to be planted in next 8 years: Badal - Jun 30, 2012
- Maoists abduct Chhattisgarh collector, kill two guards (Fourth Lead, With Image) - Apr 21, 2012
- Of loss, and love for a 30,000-member 'green family' (Feature) - Oct 17, 2011
- Maoists abduct Chhattisgarh collector, kill two guards (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Delhi gets 7 lakh saplings in 3 weeks: Dikshit - Aug 14, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to plant six crore saplings this monsoon - Jun 12, 2010
- Speed up public welfare work, Raman Singh tells collectors - Nov 21, 2011
- Punjab to plant trees along all highways - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: 10 million, atari, borah, chhattisgarh government, chief minister, district administration, green zone, helicopter, local authorities, mass level, ngos, plantations, raman singh, sapling, saplings, schoolchildren, simga, single day, target, village panchayat