Cheers as monsoon hits Maharashtra earlyJune 6th, 2012 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 6 (IANS) People in the coastal Konkan and south-central parts of Maharashtra received respite from the sweltering heat as the monsoon hit many parts of the region Wednesday, a day ahead of its normal schedule, a top weather official said here.
“The south-west monsoon advanced in some parts of south Konkan and south-central Maharashtra today (Wednesday). Accordingly, several parts of this region received rainfall today,” V.K. Rajeev, Director, Regional Meteorological Centre, Mumbai, told IANS.
The first monsoon rains were experienced in many places over Goa, south Konkan, south-central Maharashtra and isolated parts of northern and central parts of the state Wednesday, spelling cheer for the people and the farming community.
The country’s commercial capital Mumbai wore a grey, overcast look the whole day as thick clouds loomed over it, but barring a mild drizzle in some parts, the weather remained warm and humid.
The weatherman has forecast rains or thundershowers over Mumbai and other parts of the state during the next 48 hours, indicating the full-fledged onset of monsoon. The regular date for monsoon hitting Mumbai is June 10.
Wednesday’s overcast skies marred the plans of thousands of enthusiasts who were prepared and hoping to catch the transit of Venus in the morning.
However, this did not prevent people from enjoying the season’s first rains in Sindhudurg, parts of Ratnagiri and Thane, Satara, Nanded, Chandrapur, Amravati and other parts of the state during the day.
- Parts of Maharashtra sizzle at 47 degrees - May 26, 2012
- Three minor quakes in Maharashtra, Gujarat (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- Monsoon set to hit Maharashtra in next two days - Jun 07, 2011
- Hazare to start Maharashtra tour for Lokayukta bill - Apr 30, 2012
- Konkan region to get more heavy rains - Jul 26, 2010
- Heavy rains disrupt life, rail links in coastal Maharashtra - Jul 24, 2010
- Heavy rains end dry spell in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2011
- One dead as Goa-Mumbai bus plunges into ravine - Jun 12, 2012
- Rains wreak havoc in Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- Mild quakes in Maharashtra, Gujarat - Apr 14, 2012
- Rain gods smile on Maharashtra - 116 percent rainfall so far - Aug 25, 2010
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- Torrential rains in Maharashtra - Sep 03, 2012
- 21 killed as rains wreak havoc in Maharashtra - Oct 03, 2009
- Landslide blocks Konkan Railway, thousands stranded - Aug 30, 2011
Tags: drizzle, farming community, goa, meteorological centre, monsoon rains, mumbai, overcast skies, rajeev, ratnagiri, respite from, satara, south konkan, south west monsoon, sweltering heat, thick clouds, thundershowers, transit of venus, venus in the morning, weather, weatherman