Cauvery river panel meets on Tamil Nadu’s callSeptember 19th, 2012 - 7:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 19 (IANS) After a wait of nine years, the Cauvery River Authority (CRA) met Wednesday at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh’s residence here, following a request from Tamil Nadu over the state’s demand for release of the river’s water by Karnataka.
The meeting, chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, was attended by Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa, Karnataka Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar, Puducherry Chief Minister N. Rangasamy and Kerala Water Resources Minister P.J. Joseph, sources in the Prime Minister’s Office told IANS.
“The Tamil Nadu chief minister is at the prime minister’s residence to attend the CRA meeting. After the meet, she will leave Delhi around 8 p.m. to return to Chennai,” a senior leader of Jayalalaithaa’s party, AIADMK, said.
“Kerala Chief Minister Oomen Chandy is indisposed and hence the state’s water resources minister is attending the meeting on his behalf,” an official source said.
According to sources, Jayalalithaa had written to the central government in May seeking a meeting of the CRA.
The state has demanded that Karnataka release water from the Cauvery to save Tamil Nadu’s standing crops.
The last meeting of the CRA was held in 2003 when the National Democratic Alliance (NDA) was in power at the centre.
The Supreme Court earlier this month expressed its displeasure that the Prime Minister’s Office had not fixed a date for the CRA meeting.
Tamil Nadu had made a plea to the apex court for a direction to the central government to convene the CRA to approve a “distress-sharing formula” evolved by the Cauvery Monitoring Committee for sharing the river water, in view of the failure of the monsoon this year.
Karnataka had indicated that it would demand a new formula to share Cauvery water with Tamil Nadu and other states when the monsoon fails.
- Cauvery River Authority to meet Wednesday after 9 years - Sep 18, 2012
- Will move apex court again on Cauvery water: Jayalalithaa - Sep 19, 2012
- Cauvery award: Both Tamil Nadu, Karnataka unhappy (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2012
- Karnataka asks PM to rescind Cauvery water decision - Sep 21, 2012
- Jayalalithaa renews call for Cauvery River Authority meet - Aug 23, 2012
- Karnataka walks out of PM's meeting on Cauvery waters - Sep 19, 2012
- Resolve Cauvery water dispute, SC tells PMO (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- Karnataka for new formula for Cauvery water sharing - Sep 11, 2012
- Cauvery water dispute adds to Karnataka Congress' woes (Karnataka Newsletter) - Sep 21, 2012
- Convene meeting of Cauvery River Authority: Jayalalithaa - May 19, 2012
Tags: aiadmk, apex court, cauvery river authority, central government, chandy, cra, displeasure, j jayalalithaa, jagadish, karnataka chief minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, monitoring committee, national democratic alliance, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, puducherry, release water, river water, standing crops