California earthquake shakes Los Angeles to San DiegoMay 18th, 2009 - 8:20 pm ICT by John Le Fevre
An early evening magnitude 5 earthquake has shaken Southern California from Los Angeles to San Diego but caused little in the way of damage or injury.
The California quake came a little more than three hours after a smaller quake was felt in New York, on the opposite side of the country.
The quake, which the US Geological Survey (USGS) described as “moderate” was centered approximately one mile from Lennox, one mile from Inglewood, two miles from Hawthorne, and four miles from El Segundo, 10 miles southwest of downtown Los Angeles and three miles east of Los Angeles International Airport.
The USGS said the initial quake, which was felt as far south as San Diego, 125 miles (201km) away, and as far east as Riverside County, was followed by at least three after aftershocks, with the largest registering at magnitude 3.1.
Residents close to the epicenter reported hearing a tremendous boom, followed by 10 to 15-seconds of shaking during which pans, books and glasses were sent tumbling to the floor, windows were shattered and tiles knocked from roofs.
Los Angeles Fire Department (LAFD) said initial assessments indicated the trembler cause no major structural damage and no serious injuries were reported.
The earthquake was the the largest in the greater Los Angeles area since a magnitude 5.4 quake struck Chino Hills in July, 2008.
- Twin earthquakes rock Los Angeles & New York - May 18, 2009
- Colorado's largest earthquake since 1967 damages homes - Aug 23, 2011
- Southern California Rattled By 5.4 Earthquake On July 7, 2010 - Jul 08, 2010
- Powerful 7.2-magnitude earthquake rocks U.S. - Mexico border; at least 2 dead - Apr 05, 2010
- California rattled by 3.6 earthquake - Aug 25, 2011
- Light earthquake shakes southern California, felt in San Diego - Jun 13, 2010
- Strong earthquake strikes central Australia, no damage - Mar 24, 2012
- Light earthquake shakes Los Angeles, no reports of damage - Feb 14, 2010
- Los Angeles shaken by a small earthquake of 4.4 magnitude - Mar 17, 2010
- Strong earthquake hits western Mexico (Lead) - Apr 05, 2010
- Strong quake strikes Russia-Mongolia border region, no damage - Feb 27, 2012
- 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake Rocks Southern California - Jun 15, 2010
- Mild Earthquake Hits San Francisco - Jan 08, 2011
- Major 6.5-magnitude earthquake rocks California; damage reported - Jan 10, 2010
- 6.0 earthquake strikes off northern California - Feb 05, 2010
Tags: aftershocks, california earthquake, california quake, chino hills, early evening, el segundo, epicenter, far south, fire department, floor windows, hawthorne, initial assessments, initial quake, lafd, los angeles international airport, magnitude, riverside county, roofs, us geological survey, usgs