British granny catches deadliest snake by hoodSeptember 6th, 2012 - 9:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, Sep 6 (IANS) A 57-year-old grandmother in Britain who came across a snake in her garden simply picked it up with kitchen tongs and put it in a chocolate box, little knowing that it was the world’s deadliest.
Kath Forster, put the foot-long reptile in a chocolate box after it was found in a crate of Indian slate being used for a patio.
She was stunned after experts called in by her family identified it as a saw-scaled viper. One bite can kill, there is no anti-venom and it causes about 10,000 deaths a year as it lives largely in highly-populated areas of Asia and Africa.
Kath, of Derbyshire, said she just imitated TV animal experts by grabbing the snake from behind its head. “I wasn’t scared and would do it again.”
Expert John Bent said: “It’s amazing no one was killed.
The snake is now with a licensed collector.
- World's deadliest snake found in Essex - Aug 31, 2012
- Venom website hopes cut snake bite deaths - May 05, 2010
- Snake bites kill 100,000 annually: WHO - May 04, 2010
- Snake expert dies of cobra bite - Jul 02, 2011
- Snake causes panic in Kolkata hospital - Aug 12, 2012
- Lack of awareness killing thousands of snake bite victims - Jun 07, 2010
- England's base in Rustenburg is surrounded by snakes - May 24, 2010
- 'Venom from snakes could save lives too' - Sep 20, 2012
- Now, an all India guide map on snakes - Mar 15, 2012
- Raymond Hoser lets a snake bite his daughter - Aug 10, 2011
- Snakes targeting golfers in Sweden - Jul 19, 2010
- Snake causes panic in Kolkata hospital, killed - Dec 08, 2010
- Python in car stuns British holidaying couple - Sep 07, 2012
- PETA to snake charmers: Use fake snakes on Nag Panchami - Jul 20, 2012
- Save snakes from atrocities on Nag Panchami: PETA - Aug 02, 2011
Tags: africa, animal experts, asia, chocolate box, deadliest snake, deaths, derbyshire, expert john, forster, granny, indian slate, kath, kitchen tongs, london, old grandmother, reptile, tv animal, venom