Brazil to impose more fines on Chevron for oil spillNovember 30th, 2011 - 1:52 pm ICT by IANS
Rio De Janeiro, Nov 30 (IANS) Brazil’s environment protection agency Ibama said Tuesday that US oil giant Chevron may be fined an additional 60 million reais ($32.6 million) for the spill off the country’s southeastern coast.
Ibama would make a final decision on the matter by the end of the week, said Ibama President Curt Trennpohl.
The eventual fines would be related to the environmental damage caused by the spill (50 million reais) and to the company not enforcing its emergency plan after the accident (10 million reais), reported Xinhua.
Chevron has already been fined 50 million reais for the spill. In addition to fines by Ibama, Chevron may have to pay fines to the National Petroleum Agency (ANP) and the Rio de Janeiro state government as well.
Trennpohl complained that the maximum fine for environmental damage provided for in the Brazilian law, which is 50 million reais, is too low for a company such as Chevron.
On the same day, Chevron denied any negligence in the episode of the oil spill. In a Senate hearing on the incident, Chevron’s representative Luiz Alberto Pimenta Borges Bastos said the company’s response to the spill was fast.
“We acted quickly and we were able to kill the source of the spill in four days. It is an excellent result,” he said.
Bastos added that Chevron will work to prevent other spills and stressed that the company is acting with transparency.
The spill occurred in early November, during the drilling of a well in the Campo do Frade area, some 120 km off the coast of Rio de Janeiro state.
- Brazil suspends Chevron drilling rights after spill - Nov 24, 2011
- Petrobras reports gas leak at drilling platform - Nov 28, 2011
- `Chevron out of Brazil if it fails to comply with agreement' - Dec 05, 2011
- Chevron faces $25 mn fine for Brazil oil spill - Jul 20, 2012
- Brazil fines Chevron for oil spill - Nov 22, 2011
- Chevron detects new oil leak in Brazil - Mar 17, 2012
- Brazil seeking $10 bn from Chevron for oil spill - Dec 16, 2011
- Chevron to cap, abandon leaking Brazil oil well - Nov 16, 2011
- Brazilian police question Chevron's oil clean-up - Nov 21, 2011
- Brazilian officials probe oil found on beach - Dec 20, 2011
- Brazil reduces Chevron fine for oil spill - Sep 18, 2012
- Greenpeace protests Chevron oil spill off Brazil - Nov 19, 2011
- Brazil calls on oil firms to operate responsibly - Mar 22, 2012
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
- 33 firms fined for deforestation in Brazil - Apr 07, 2010
Tags: 50 million, 60 million, anp, bastos, borges, brazilian law, chevron, early november, emergency plan, environmental damage, final decision, ibama, national petroleum, oil giant, oil spill, pimenta, rio de janeiro, senate hearing, southeastern coast, xinhua