Brazil fines Chevron for oil spillNovember 22nd, 2011 - 1:12 pm ICT by IANS
Rio De Janeiro, Nov 22 (IANS) Brazilian authorities said Monday that US oil giant Chevron would pay a maximum environmental damage fine of $27.78 million for a large spill off the southeast coast.
The amount could not be higher under the current rules of government environmental agency Ibama, but Rio state’s environment chief Carlos Minc said it is not enough, reported Xinhua.
Minc said half of the fine will be used to repair the environmental damage caused by the oil spill, and that he would require an audit on all Chevron’s facilities in Rio, and later on all oil companies operating in the state.
In addition, he said that Rio state would sue Chevron for the damages caused by the spill to marine life.
According to Chevron, the leak has already been halted and there are only residues of the original spill. But Brazil’s National Petroleum Agency (ANP) said Sunday that the oil is still leaking, albeit at a lower rate.
The Brazilian Federal Police’s environment office is investigating the incident to determine the extent of Chevron’s responsibility, as well as allegations that Chevron used environmentally-damaging techniques to clean the oil spill.
If the accusations proved to be true, Chevron may be forbidden to participate in public bidding processes for up to five years.
- Brazil to impose more fines on Chevron for oil spill - Nov 30, 2011
- Brazil suspends Chevron drilling rights after spill - Nov 24, 2011
- Brazilian officials probe oil found on beach - Dec 20, 2011
- Petrobras reports gas leak at drilling platform - Nov 28, 2011
- `Chevron out of Brazil if it fails to comply with agreement' - Dec 05, 2011
- Chevron detects new oil leak in Brazil - Mar 17, 2012
- Brazil seeking $10 bn from Chevron for oil spill - Dec 16, 2011
- Chevron faces $25 mn fine for Brazil oil spill - Jul 20, 2012
- Chevron to cap, abandon leaking Brazil oil well - Nov 16, 2011
- Brazilian police question Chevron's oil clean-up - Nov 21, 2011
- Brazil reduces Chevron fine for oil spill - Sep 18, 2012
- Brazil calls on oil firms to operate responsibly - Mar 22, 2012
- Greenpeace protests Chevron oil spill off Brazil - Nov 19, 2011
- Brazilian firm makes deepwater oil find - Aug 27, 2012
- Chemical spill forces Brazilian port's closure - May 07, 2012
Tags: accusations, allegations, anp, bidding processes, brazilian authorities, carlos minc, chevron, environment office, environmental agency, environmental damage, federal police, ibama, national petroleum, oil companies, oil giant, oil spill, public bidding, rio de janeiro, southeast coast, xinhua