BP Sued By US Government Over Gulf Oil SpillDecember 16th, 2010 - 8:36 pm ICT by GD
By Ranjan Bhaduri
Dec 16, (THAINDIAN NEWS) In a sensational development the Federal government’s justice department has sued British Oil firm BP along with 8 other companies for the infamous Gulf of Mexico oil spill. The oil spill which caused huge damage to the Florida coastal region and wildlife as well made sensations in USA and environmental activists were up in arms against the firm accusing it of being slow and inefficient of handling of the entire fiasco. BP took several months to plug in the damaged well and stop the oil spill. The ghastly images of seabirds soaked in oil shocked the viewers and many of them died at the coastal region. It is rated as one of the worst man made environmental disasters. The lawsuit accuses the UK firm of breaching the federal regulations and says that its safety measures were inadequate.
The lawsuit seeks civil penalties as per the Clean Water Act and a federal statute for cleanup related expenses. The lawsuit also slams BP for being a cause behind the massive damage to the sea water and eco system. BP said on its part said that it will respond to this development and will not deviate from its commitment to the Gulf of Mexico. It also added that it will fully cooperate with the ongoing investigations. It issued a statement saying “The filing is solely a statement of the government’s allegations and does not in any manner constitute any finding of liability or any judicial finding that the allegations have merit”.
The lawsuit makes it possible for the US government to ask BP to pay several million dollars in compensation. The justice department has not mentioned any specific amount so far.
- BP sued over gulf oil spill - Dec 16, 2010
- Legal fight between Kevin Costner and Stephen Baldwin over BP deal for oil spill clean-up device - Jun 05, 2012
- US terms reports of BP resuming Gulf of Mexico drilling as 'misconception' - Apr 05, 2011
- BP to pay $7.8 bn to victims of oil spill - Mar 05, 2012
- BP sues Cameron, Deepwater Horizon owner Transocean over Gulf of Mexico oil spill - Apr 21, 2011
- Obama Administration Sues BP And The Other Entities For The Catastrophic Oil Spill In April - Dec 16, 2010
- US allows BP to drill new Gulf deepwater wells - Oct 22, 2011
- Civil, criminal investigations underway in BP oil spill - Jun 02, 2010
- No information about oil rigs safety: RTI activist - May 16, 2011
- BP oil spill's psychological effects go beyond residents of impacted areas - Feb 18, 2011
- Cleanup to resume at US oil spill - Jul 25, 2010
- BP begins 'static kill' at ruptured US oil well - Aug 04, 2010
- Oil Is Still Spilling In The Gulf Of Mexico, BP Says It Collects 5000 Barrels Everyday - May 21, 2010
- Alabama's Gulf Coast Restaurant Industry files class action lawsuit after BP oil spill - May 08, 2010
- Baldwin loses case against Costner - Jun 18, 2012
Tags: british oil, civil penalties, clean water act, coastal region, eco system, environmental activists, federal statute, fiasco, gulf of mexico, gulf of mexico oil, gulf of mexico oil spill, gulf oil, man made environmental disasters, massive damage, oil firm, ranjan, safety measures, sea water, seabirds, worst man