Bird helpline launched ahead of Independence DayAugust 10th, 2010 - 7:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 10 (IANS) A bird helpline has been launched in the capital to provide quick treatment to thousands of birds who get injured every year after being hurt by glass-coated string used for kite flying on Independence Day.
An initiative by NGO Wildlife Rescue, the 24-hour bird rescue helpline will cater to injured birds across the capital.
“The glass-coated string (’maanja’) used for kite-flying has thousands of birds lose their wings and feet every year. The maanja cuts across wing/feet muscles and even cuts through bone, in turn rendering a bird handicapped and unfit to fly for life,” said Nadeem Shahzad, who runs the helpline.
The NGO has networked with several other organisation working for birds so that they could receive treatment soon.
“While several birds are found lying helpless on the roads with severe injuries, many more are found hanging by their wings on trees and cables, entangled in maanja. So this is the time to keep a close look-out for your feathered friends,” he said.
People finding a trapped or injured bird in need may call at any of the helpline numbers - 9810029698, 9810129698, 9868355222, 9212111116.
- Use glass-free manja this Makar Sankranti, urges PETA - Jan 07, 2011
- PETA urges Madhya Pradesh to ban use of kite flying string - Dec 25, 2009
- Sonam Kapoor donates 'kind kites' to school kids - Jan 13, 2011
- Birds in Gujarat fall victim to glass-coated kite strings - Jan 13, 2010
- Animal rights group seeks curbs on kite-flying - Dec 24, 2009
- Save birds, ban glass-coated kite strings: Sonam Kapoor - Mar 10, 2010
- Sonam Kapoor Donates 3000 Kites To Her Alma Mater! - Jan 14, 2011
- Colourful Sankranti celebrations in Andhra - Jan 15, 2012
- Kite festival is a threat to birds in Gujarat (With Images) - Jan 11, 2010
- Amritsar bans Chinese kite-string after death, injuries - Jan 16, 2011
- Toronto bans kite flying - Aug 19, 2010
- Jiah Khan wants a ban on glass-coated manja - Jan 07, 2009
- Pakistan's kite-flyers to be booked under terrorism act! - Nov 11, 2011
- Kites fill Delhi skies in spirit of freedom (With Image) - Aug 15, 2012
- Campaign launched to save birds from kite's thread in Surat - Jan 01, 2011