Beijing strives to be coal-free

March 4th, 2012 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS  

Beijing, March 4 (IANS) Beijing will stop using coal-fired equipment in key areas of the city by 2013 to curb pollution, the authorities said Sunday.

The city will cap its annual coal consumption at 15 million tonnes by 2015, according to the development and reform commission, the city’s top economic planner.

Areas around the 5th Ring Road of the city will be coal-free by 2015, said Gao Xinyu, head of the commission’s energy division.

Beijing consumed 26.35 million tonnes of coal in 2010, accounting for 30 percent of its total energy consumption, while the other 70 percent constituted natural gas, electricity and renewable energies, Xinhua reports.

Beijing’s air quality has improved over the past 10 years after it shut down polluting and energy-consuming companies and over 200 coal mines.

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in Environment |

Subscribe