Bathers attacked by carnivorous fish in BrazilFebruary 21st, 2012 - 12:34 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Feb 21 (IANS/EFE) At least 20 people suffered slight injuries on their toes and fingers when they were attacked by carnivorous fish as they were bathing in a river in southern Brazil, authorities reported Monday.
The attack occurred Sunday afternoon at two different spots on the Toropi river, which runs through the central part of the southern state of Rio Grande do Sul.
The bathers were attacked by a school of “palometas”, a species of carnivorous fish native to South America’s Southern Cone.
After recommending to the approximately 1,000 bathers gathered at the Passo do Juliao and Passo do Angico swimming spots that they get out of the water, authorities allowed people to swim again Monday but they strengthened the presence of lifeguards to be alert for any new attack.
The victims, most of whom suffered small bites on their fingers and toes, although some were bitten on the ears, were attended to by paramedics.
Authorities attributed the attack to the low level of the river water due to a drought and the scarcity of food for the fish.
Despite the fact that the palometa is a carnivorous fish of the piranha family, it does not normally attack humans.
- Piranhas attack bathers in Brazil - Feb 22, 2012
- Piranha attack in China leads hunt for fish - Jul 12, 2012
- 25 die in Brazil accident - Mar 06, 2011
- Piranhas attack beach-goers in Brazil - Sep 27, 2011
- Swine flu deaths rise to 133 in Brazil - Jul 25, 2012
- Wreckage of 16th century ship discovered off Brazil - Mar 01, 2012
- Brazil rains: 8,000 left homeless - Mar 14, 2011
- 17 Missing in Brazil bridge collapse - Jan 06, 2010
- Cold wave kills six million fish in Bolivia - Aug 04, 2010
- Seven people beheaded at Brazilian farm - May 01, 2012
- Brazil returns 22 tonnes of trash to Germany - Aug 25, 2010
- Brazil arrests two men for plotting massacre - Mar 23, 2012
- Piranhas: aquatic killers that also bark - Oct 13, 2011
- Four slain at festival in Mexico - Jul 27, 2012
- Brazil looks to private sector to bolster infrastructure - Aug 16, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,