Ban shark fin sales, DiCaprio urges CaliforniaJune 30th, 2011 - 2:52 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 30 (IANS) Actor Leonardo DiCaprio has urged officials in California to ban the sale of shark fins in the state.
The actor, a longtime animal rights campaigner, has thrown his support behind the proposed Assembly Bill 376, which would make it illegal to possess, sell or trade sought-after fins, reports dailystar.co.uk.
In a letter to members of the California State Senate, DiCaprio wrote: “The International Union for the Conservation of Nature has concluded that a third of shark species are now threatened with extinction of some kind.”
“And recent estimates state that up to 73 million sharks are killed each year for use in shark fin soup and other products,” he added.
“Despite fisheries’ attempts at regulation, the inhumane practice of finning continues unabated too, as does the illegal capture of sharks from marine reserves and sovereign waters,” he wrote.
DiCaprio’s petition was also signed by conservationists at The Humane Society, WildAid and The Natural Resources Defense Council.
- DiCaprio urges fans to support ban on shark fins - Sep 04, 2011
- DiCaprio partners with electric car company - Jul 05, 2012
- China mulls shark fin ban at official banquets - Jul 03, 2012
- DiCaprio, Maguire, Hardy to produce new film - Aug 29, 2012
- DiCaprio embarrassed by 'Titanic' performance - Mar 29, 2012
- Kissing DiCaprio wasn't that weird: Hammer - May 26, 2011
- Dicaprio romancing Blake Lively? - May 18, 2011
- Gaga, Bieber named most charitable stars - Dec 29, 2011
- DiCaprio swaps clothes with bouncer to dodge paparazzi - Feb 12, 2010
- Samuel L. Jackson to star in 'Django Unchained' - Sep 15, 2011
- Alec Baldwin jealous of DiCaprio's movie career - Mar 09, 2010
- Mcconaughey joins 'Wolf Of Wall Street' - Aug 04, 2012
- Foxx to replace Smith in 'Django Unchained'? - Jun 25, 2011
- Worry about global warming: DiCaprio - Sep 15, 2011
- Naomi Watts snubs Academy Awards - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: actor leonardo dicaprio, assembly bill, california state senate, campaigner, conservation of nature, conservationists, extinction, finning, humane society, inhumane practice, leonardo dicaprio, marine reserves, natural resources defense, natural resources defense council, resources defense council, shark fin soup, shark fins, shark species, sharks, wildaid