Bad weather cuts short Rahul’s Orissa tripDecember 9th, 2010 - 12:33 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Dec 9 (IANS) Heavy rain and thundershowers forced Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi to cut short his trip to Orissa and fly back to New Delhi Thursday, a day after landing here, an official said.
Gandhi was scheduled to visit Sambalpur and Baripada towns as part of his two-day trip to Orissa’s tribal areas, a police officer told IANS.
Most parts of the state have been witnessing rain and thundershowers for the past three days due to a depression over west central Bay of Bengal.
He was scheduled to interact with college students at Sambalpur town, some 300 km from here, Wednesday. His itinerary also included a night stay in the town but he couldn’t make it because of the rains.
Instead, Gandhi addressed students in Cuttack and Behrampur towns Wednesday, a senior Congress leader said. Gandhi appealed them to join politics and serve the country, he added.
Gandhi reached Bhubaneswar by road after addressing students at Behrampur and spent the night at a state guest house here.
He couldn’t travel to Baripada, the district headquarters of Mayurbhanj, either. Gandhi was supposed to interact with Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe students in Baripada Thursday.
“He cancelled his Baripada programme and returned to Delhi,” Deputy Commissioner of Police H.K. Lal told IANS here.
It was Gandhi’s second trip to the state.
Earlier in August, he had visited the state’s impoverished Kalahandi district and addressed a rally near Niyamgiri hills where people are opposing a mining project by the Vedanta group.
The latest visit was a part of his ongoing efforts to strengthen the student and youth wings of the party, the Congress leader said.
- Bad weather cuts short Rahul Gandhi's Orissa visit - Dec 09, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi to visit Orissa - Dec 08, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi begins two-day Orissa tour - Jul 13, 2011
- Rahul in favour of industries but with proper rehabilitation (Lead) - Jul 13, 2011
- Security up ahead of Rahul Gandhi's visit to Orissa - Aug 25, 2010
- Congress activists pray for Sonia's recovery - Aug 04, 2011
- Heat wave continues to grip Orissa - Mar 22, 2010
- Three Orissa towns record over 41 degrees Celsius - Mar 23, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi to address tribal rally in Orissa - Aug 26, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi in Orissa to address tribal rally - Aug 26, 2010
- Cold persists in Odisha - Jan 14, 2012
- Mercury crosses 40 degrees Celsius in Orissa town - Mar 22, 2011
- Temperature dips to 4 degrees Celsius in Orissa - Dec 24, 2010
- Man climbs tree to escape wife's medical bill - Oct 28, 2010
- Rahul Gandhi arrives in Jammu - Sep 27, 2011
Tags: bad weather, bay of bengal, caste, commissioner of police, congress leader, cuttack, day trip, deputy commissioner, district headquarters, general secretary, heavy rain, lal, mining project, orissa, rahul gandhi, second trip, t travel, thundershowers, tribal areas, vedanta group