Australian surfer dies of shark attackJuly 14th, 2012 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
Moscow, July 14 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A 24-year-old surfer died Saturday in a shark attack near Wedge Island in Western Australia province, media reports said.
According to The West Australian newspaper, the attack was the fifth fatal incident involving sharks in the last 10 months.
It was a four to five metre long Great White shark, a witness told Sky News.
Other witnesses said the man was less than 50 metres from the shore when taken. But others said he was about 200 metre away on an isolated beach.
The authorities said they have placed baited lines in the area to try and catch and kill the shark.
- Iran pardons 130 inmates ahead of Eid al-Fitr - Aug 16, 2012
- Russian woman jailed in failed terror attack - May 19, 2012
- Russia, South Africa discussing joint weapons development - Sep 18, 2012
- Russian teenager attempts 'bank robbery' for suicide - Sep 07, 2012
- Russian Air Force tests new missile - Jan 25, 2012
- Russia, Norway to hold joint naval drills in May - Feb 27, 2012
- Iran to hold naval drills in international waters - Nov 26, 2011
- Siberian bear kills man - Jul 31, 2012
- Russia may raise duties on beer - Aug 01, 2012
- Russian Olympic medallists given luxury cars - Aug 16, 2012
- South African beach dubbed world's deadliest - Jan 16, 2012
- Egypt pays $50,000 to Russian tourist for shark attack - Feb 15, 2011
- Poke sharks in eyes if attacked: Russian officials - Aug 19, 2011
- Science fiction writer Harrison dies at 87 - Aug 16, 2012
- Belarusian border guards get flak over teddy bears - Aug 03, 2012