Australia witnesses second wettest summerMarch 7th, 2011 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Sydney, March 7 (IANS) Australia has witnessed its second wettest summer this year since records first began being maintained 111 years ago. The above-average rainfall is expected to continue.
“Nationally we averaged 354.7 mm - 70 percent above normal and second only behind the infamous summer of 1973-74 when 419.8 mm was recorded,” AAP quoted Weather Channel meteorologist Tom Saunders as saying.
He said all states and territories recorded above average falls.
Victoria has never had a wetter summer and it was Western Australia’s second wettest.
South Australia had its third wettest summer, New South Wales its fifth, Queensland its sixth and the Northern Territory its eighth.
However, in Tasmania, the summer was well off record levels (17th).
“After a decade of drought, the Murray-Darling Basin also recorded its third wettest summer on record,” Saunders said.
“Looking ahead into autumn, the La Nina (weather phenomenon) is now past its peak and has been weakening since early January.
“However, until the Pacific Ocean returns to neutral in winter we can expect above average rain to continue over most of the country,” he said.
- El Nino, La Nina can determine whether Australia wins or lose Ashes series - Feb 06, 2011
- Sunny day in Delhi on second CWG day - Oct 05, 2010
- Meteorologists say that 'La Nina' is over - Jun 10, 2011
- Delhi has clear skies, light rain expected Tuesday (lead) - Jun 04, 2012
- Light showers in Delhi, more expected - Sep 21, 2010
- Dry day ahead for Delhi - Aug 31, 2010
- Sunny morning greets Delhi - Oct 01, 2010
- Sun shines over Delhi, but rains likely - Sep 24, 2010
- Clear skies in Delhi as Games get underway - Oct 04, 2010
- Delhi has wettest August in a decade - Aug 23, 2010
- Heavy downpour lashes Delhi (Lead) - Sep 01, 2010
- Hot day in store for Delhi - Sep 01, 2010
- Light rain makes Delhi weather pleasant (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Wet morning, more rains in store for Delhi - Sep 20, 2010
- Wettest August in a decade in Delhi (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
Tags: autumn, average rainfall, decade, drought, la nina weather, la nina weather phenomenon, meteorologist, murray darling basin, new south wales, northern territory, pacific ocean, queensland, south australia, sydney march, tasmania, tom saunders, victoria, weather channel, western australia, wetter