At least 10 killed as storm batters PhilippinesMay 3rd, 2009 - 12:32 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, May 3 (DPA) At least 10 people were killed in landslides and floods triggered by a storm battering the eastern Philippines, the Office of Civil Defence (OCD) said Sunday.
Seven of the fatalities were buried in mud and debris when the side of a hill collapsed on a village in Magallanes town in Sorsogon province, 375 km south of Manila.
The OCD said 15 people were missing in the landslide in Magallanes. Rescuers were continuing to search for victims, but bad weather was hampering operations.
Three people were killed in floods in the provinces of Camarines Norte and Quezon, authorities said.
More than 13,000 people have been affected by the storm, while more than 4,400 passengers were stranded in seaports after the coast guard suspended all ship travel, the OCD said.
Landslides were reported in other towns of Sorsogon, while electricity was cut off in some areas affected by the storm, the OCD said.
The weather bureau said the storm strengthened overnight and was affecting at least seven provinces.
The storm was packing maximum sustained winds of 65 km an hour and gusts of up to 80 km an hour. It was moving northeast slowly.
- Storm batters eastern Philippines, 12 dead, 15 missing (Lead) - May 03, 2009
- 11 die in Philippines storm - Aug 08, 2012
- Typhoon hits Philippines, kills one - Oct 31, 2009
- Flashfloods displace 25,000 in the Philippines - Feb 20, 2012
- 16 dead as typhoon batters Philippines (Lead) - Jul 14, 2010
- Tropical storm kills 80 in the Philippines (Lead) - Sep 27, 2009
- Philippines storm death toll nears 100 (Second Lead) - Sep 27, 2009
- At least 11 missing as tropical storm 'Falcon' hits Philippines - Jun 24, 2011
- 113 dead in Philippine landslides, floods (Lead) - Oct 09, 2009
- Ahead of typhoon, Philippines placed under 'state of calamity' (Lead) - Oct 02, 2009
- 18 dead in China landslide - Jul 06, 2011
- Philippine landslides, floods toll nears 200 (Second Lead) - Oct 09, 2009
- Four dead as Typhoon Conson batters Philippines - Jul 14, 2010
- Typhoon Parma kills 17 in the Philippines - Oct 04, 2009
- Typhoon batters northern Philippines - Oct 03, 2009
Tags: bad weather, camarines norte, civil defence, coast guard, debris, electricity, floods, gusts, landslide, landslides, maximum sustained winds, mud, ocd, philippines manila, rescuers, seaports, ship travel, sorsogon province, storm batters, weather bureau