At 46.7 degrees, Odisha bakes in blistering heatMay 25th, 2012 - 9:50 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, May 25 (IANS) A blistering heat wave sweeping across Odisha intensified with one of its towns Friday recording a temperature of 46.7 degrees Celsius, the highest of the day in the state, officials said.
Normal life was hit at the district headquarters town of Sambalpur, about 320 km from here, which recorded this high temperature, an official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre told IANS.
While two other towns Sundergarh and Hirakud in the state’s western parts too recorded high of 46 and 46.6 degrees Celsius, respectively, several other places reeled under temperatures of 45 degrees Celsius.
The maximum temperature recorded at the state capital Bhubaneswar and its adjoining Cuttack city was slightly less. They witnessed 42 and 40.5 degrees Celsius, respectively, said the official adding that heat wave conditions may prevail in some parts of the state Saturday.
- Heat wave strikes Odisha, toll rises to 19 (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- Mercury crosses 44 degrees in Odisha - May 14, 2012
- Sunstroke toll rises to 36 in Odisha - Jun 12, 2012
- Heat wave continues to sweep Odisha - May 27, 2012
- Odisha heatwave continues - May 29, 2012
- Heatwave continues in Odisha, claims 32 lives - Jun 10, 2012
- Mercury soars in Odisha, Titilagarh records 44.5 C - May 15, 2012
- Temperatures cross 45 degrees in five Odisha towns - May 18, 2012
- No respite from heat wave in Odisha - May 26, 2012
- Heat wave sears Odisha, Titilagarh records 46.5 degrees - May 18, 2012
- Cold persists in Odisha - Jan 14, 2012
- Mercury touches 42 degrees in Orissa - May 04, 2011
- Heat death toll in Odisha climbs to 21 - May 29, 2012
- Temperature dips to 4 degrees Celsius in Orissa - Dec 24, 2010
- Heat wave in Odisha, Titilagarh sizzles at 45 degrees - May 16, 2012
Tags: bakes, blistering heat, cuttack, district headquarters, heat wave, high temperature, hirakud, maximum temperature, meteorological centre, odisha, sambalpur, state officials, temperatures, wave conditions