Assam’s anti-dam activist starts protest fastMay 19th, 2012 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 19 (IANS) Assam’s farmer leader and anti-dam activist Akhil Gogoi Saturday started an indefinite hunger-strike near Dighalipukhuri in Guwahati.
Hundreds of people from various walks of life joined the activist and raised slogans demanding that the government stop construction of all mega dams in the northeast.
“We are demanding a stop to construction of all mega dams in the northeast, a stop to atrocities on anti-dam activists by the security forces, and unconditional release of about 27 colleagues of ours detained May 11,” said Gogoi, who is also the general secretary of the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti.
“We are not going to allow construction of mega dams in the region until the government takes a decision after talks with people of the region,” he said.
The activist said that the northeast was a high risk seismic zone and the mega dams would unleash massive destruction if a major quake rocked the region.
- Assam's anti-dam activist threatens indefinite fast - May 18, 2012
- Assam farm leader's hunger strike gets NAPM support - May 22, 2012
- Convention on mega dams in Assam from Feb 25 - Feb 02, 2012
- Anti-dam activists slam Assam government - May 15, 2012
- Assam rights panel moves NHRC over police atrocities - Jun 21, 2012
- Medha Patkar attacks Assam on mega dams on Brahmaputra - Jul 14, 2010
- Akhil ends fast; vows to strengthen anti-dam movement (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Anti-dam movement: Hazare urges Akhil Gogoi to end fast - May 28, 2012
- Assam to seek fresh opinion on Arunachal dam's effects - Jan 05, 2012
- Four nabbed for molesting teenager in Guwahati (Lead) - Jul 13, 2012
- Molestation of teen sparks national outrage; four held (Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- Assam groups oppose Arunachal dam - Sep 13, 2011
- Indefinite blockade in Assam over Arunachal dam - Jan 02, 2012
- Molestation of teen sparks national outrage; four held (Intro Roundup) - Jul 13, 2012
- Free two activists held in Assam: Team Anna - Jun 26, 2011
Tags: activist, activists, assam, atrocities, colleagues, general secretary, gogoi, indefinite hunger strike, massive destruction, mega dams, quake, security forces, seismic zone, slogans, stop construction, unconditional release, walks of life