Assam floods: Gogoi orders rescue of maroonedJune 26th, 2012 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, June 26 (IANS) With floods continuing to wreak havoc in many districts in Assam, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi Tuesday asked state officials to rescue the marooned people on a war footing. One person was killed in landslides here.
Gogoi, who is on an official visit to the US, asked officials to initiate timely action to evacuate people from the vulnerable areas in view of the rising water levels of the Brahmaputra river and its tributaries.
Incessant rains led to flooding of many areas in Assam’s main city Guwahati Tuesday and triggered landslides in at least four different locations in the city, killing one person and injuring several others.
One man was killed in Shantipur in the Bharalumukh area of the city Tuesday morning after his house was damaged by landslides from the adjacent hills.
Official sources said that the Brahmapurtra has been flowing over the danger level at many points across the state.
The authorities have prohibited the movement of passenger ferries and boats on the Brahmaputra river.
“Assam’s river island and top seat of Vaishnavite culture, Majuli, was cut off on Monday as the Jorhat district administration ordered stop to running of passenger ferries and boats between Nimatighat and Majuli due to the rising water level of the river,” an official said.
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) has joined rescue operations in Majuli and in some areas of Sadiya subdivision in Tinsukia district.
Floods have affected the Dibru Sakhowa National Park in Tinsukia district and the Kaziranga National Park in Golaghat district. Surging flood waters have also snapped road connection between many places in upper Assam, sources said.
- Flood situation turns grimmer in Assam - Jun 25, 2012
- Seven Assam districts affected by floods, two killed - Sep 21, 2012
- PM, Sonia to visit flood-hit Assam, toll rises to 61 - Jul 01, 2012
- Assam floods: Central team to assess damage, toll 88 - Jul 05, 2012
- Two drown, 150,000 people hit in Assam floods - Apr 24, 2010
- Assam flood situation improves, but toll rises - Jul 06, 2012
- Flood situation improves in Assam, Sonia to visit Monday - Jun 30, 2012
- Assam flood situation worsens, toll rises to 18 - Jun 28, 2012
- PM expresses grief over Assam ferry tragedy - Apr 30, 2012
- PM, Sonia visit Assam to assess flood situation - Jul 02, 2012
- Floods affect over 30,000 in Assam - Jun 12, 2012
- Over 1.5 lakh people affected as flood situation worsens in Assam - Apr 25, 2010
- Floods hit Assam, over 15,000 affected - Jun 05, 2012
- Assam floods: Death toll reaches 100, 16 missing - Jul 05, 2012
- Fear of poisonous attacks leads to spider killing in Assam - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,