Asia’s largest solar park functional in GujaratApril 19th, 2012 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, April 19 (IANS) A 600 MW solar power park, touted as Asia’s first and largest, was Thursday dedicated to the nation by Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi in the state’s Patan district, in a boost to India’s efforts towards low carbon growth.
The solar power park with a power generation capacity of 600 MW, covering approximately 3,000 acres of wasteland bordering the Rann of Kutch, will generate two-thirds of India’s total 900 MW of solar power production.
“Gujarat dedicates 600 MW of solar power to the nation today (Thursday). We are celebrating the launch of Agni V & dedication of 600 MW solar power park in Gujarat,” Modi said on micro blogging site twitter.
According to the Gujarat government, the solar project will lead to a reduction in carbon dioxide emissions to the tune of eight million tonnes and save 900,000 tonnes of natural gas annually.
Under its Solar Power Policy, the state government had signed memorandums of understanding for generation of 968.5 MW of solar power by the end of this year.
Other projects will be developed at Anand, Banaskantha, Jamnangar, Junagadh, Kutch, Porbandar, Rajkot, Surat and Surendranagar.
The Gujarat Solar Park is an innovative concept of the state government to promote solar installations in which it allocated developed land to the project developers with the entire infrastructure, including power evacuation, roads and water for commissioning of the power project put on fast track.
Gujarat will also host the ‘India Solar Summit 2012: Investment and Technology Expo’ in Gandhinagar April 20 and 21.
- Gujarat to have Asia's largest solar power park - Dec 30, 2010
- Modi launches mega solar power project - Jun 10, 2011
- Tata Power's 800 MW thermal plant operational in Gujarat - Jul 19, 2012
- Solar power plant inaugurated in Gujarat - Jan 22, 2011
- Tibet to have solar power generation base - Apr 17, 2012
- Shree Ganesh jewellery aims to generate 500 MW solar power - Apr 12, 2012
- NTPC plans 1,000 MW thermal power plant in Gujarat - Mar 20, 2010
- Anil Ambani commits $11 bn investment in Gujarat - Jan 12, 2011
- Foundation laid for Narmada canal project in Kutch - Apr 09, 2011
- OPG Power to increase capacity to 740 MW by 2013 - Jul 20, 2012
- 'Investment in solar power projects to double by 2015' - Oct 28, 2010
- Spanish firm plans $615 mn solar energy project in Chile - May 17, 2012
- Reliance Power synchronises unit at Butibori thermal plant - Jun 26, 2012
- Shree Ganesh's solar projects in UP, Bihar likely by Oct - Aug 24, 2012
- Essar commissions 2nd unit of Salaya power project in Gujarat - Jun 15, 2012
Tags: agni, ahmedabad, carbon dioxide emissions, chief minister, gandhinagar, gujarat government, launch, memorandums of understanding, narendra modi, patan, power generation capacity, project developers, rann, solar installations, solar park, solar power, solar project, solar summit, technology expo, wasteland